'Smash' Inspired Musical 'Bombshell' Finishes Casting

smash_cast.jpg

Producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron have completed casting for their one-night-only benefit concert presentation of Bombshell, the fictional musical about Marilyn Monroe created for the short-lived NBC series Smash. The Actors Fund benefit concert, which sold out within an hour of going on sale, will be held June 8 at Broadway's Minskoff Theatre.

As previously announced, the concert will feature original Smash cast members Christian Borle, Will Chase, Megan Hilty, Katharine McPhee, and Debra Messing. Additional Smash veterans joining the cast include Jaime Cepero, Brian d'Arcy James, Ann Harada, Jeremy Jordon, Donna McKechnie, Leslie Odom, Jr., and Wesley Taylor.

The ensemble will include Yesenia Ayala, Ioana Alfonso, Emily Bindiger, Colin Bradbury, Benjamin Chavez, Dennis Collins, Neal Coomer, Alexa De Barr, Josh Franklin, Karla Garcia, Mary Gatchell, Alex Gibson, Tyrone Jackson, Reed Kelly, Jenny LaRoche, Marty Lawson, Carolyn Leonhart, Karen Lloyd, Michael McArthur, Paul McGill, Chase Madigan, Kevin Osborne, Nicole Prothro, Lillie Ricciardi, Eugene Ruffolo, Michael Ruocco, Sarah Tolar, Jessica Walker, Katie Webber, Tatiana Wechsler, and Sam Zack.

Bombshell features music by Marc Shaiman and lyrics by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman. Joshua Bergasse and Scott Wittman codirect with choreography by Bergasse and music direction by Shaiman.

The creative team for the concert also includes Scott Pask (scenic elements), Carol Sherry (costume advisor), Donald Holder (lighting), Nevin Steinberg (sound supervisor), Emiliano Pares (props), Peter Nigrini (projection designs), Nathan Johnson (makeup), Doug Bersterman (conductor and orchestrations), Jeff Atmajian, Larry Blank, Brad Dechter, Aaron Heick, Marc Shaiman, and Jonathan Tunick (orchestrations), Scott M. Riesett (music supervisor), Russ Barmus, Mark Graham — Joann Kane Music Service (music preparation); and James Sampliner (associate music director).

I've gotta say, as much as a mess the show was, this sounds like a really great concept and I'm so glad it's actually coming together! I just hope we get a DVD recording or something of it because I'm dying to see it. :'(

As trashy and terrible as the second season of this show was, the first was full of amazing songs like Hang The Moon, Let's Be Bad and the like. Really hope they manage to get something great on stage.

Agreed about the second season, although I would still be here for an off-Broadway production of Hit List.

Agreed about the second season, although I would still be here for an off-Broadway production of Hit List.

Not even really here for that, 'cause I found a lot of the Hit List songs dull, compared to the Bombshell tracks. "Heart-Shaped Wreckage" is like the worst song of all time, tbh. :stretcher:

Not even really here for that, 'cause I found a lot of the Hit List songs dull, compared to the Bombshell tracks. "Heart-Shaped Wreckage" is like the worst song of all time, tbh. :stretcher:

I do agree with you tbh. I just think that it's gonna be hard for them to match the huge-budget, epic Broadway production that Bombshell was meant to be with a real musical, especially since they've got quite a big script to write around the songs they already have. Whereas I feel people would be much more modest in their expectations of Hit List (especially given how messy the musical was to begin with), and they've pretty much got all the script they need for it. :stretcher: