Mykki Blanco Quits Music To Become Investigative Journalist

1116236.jpg

Mykki Blanco has stunned her fans by announcing that she's quit music to pursue a career in investigative journalism. The rapper and performance artist wrote on Facebook: "Writing words that rhyme over beats made by other people mostly male no longer interests me and I've felt this way for over a year now. I do not find being a 'rapper' fascinating and rather than waste the remaining 9 months of 2015 in some kind of FAKE existential crisis where I pretend I don't know what I want I'm taking the initial steps to securing what I know I do want".

The Gay Dog Food musician is heading to Nepal this May to educate herself on LGBT rights in the country and get a taste for on-the-ground reporting. She says her ultimate aim is to "observe and write about places and cultures in our world not known to many and to better educate myself about the cultures, gender politics and patriarchy that shape our society so that I may one day be able to speak and influence our world in a way a dance song and music video cannot". Her ultimate plans is to return to an as yet unknown academic institution to study sociology and gender studies before pursuing journalism.

It's a typically bold move from an artist who's always been unafraid to confront the unknown. And she'll probably make a fantastic journalist: she's outspoken, fearless and eager to challenge the power structures that the world has in place. We wish her luck and keep our fingers crossed for an album somewhere down the line.

Read her full Facebook post below:

I have decided to focus and pursue a passion I've had for quite some time now which is investigative journalism, particularly focusing on documenting and writing about homosexuality and gay culture in remote corners of the world. I feel that the entertainment and music industry has given me a wonderful platform, one I intend to use as a novice in this field to share my research my writing and my findings with a much wider audience in a forum that might be more accessible than others. My longterm goals would eventually see myself enrolled in school in a sociology and gender studies program while also focusing on writing and beginning to work academically. I've taken away much from the lectures & discussions I've given so far in my career and would hope to continue to contribute and engage in dialogues focusing on gender/sexuality and its role in the entertainment/music industry's while also studying and fulfilling my desire to follow my new interests. I would like to ideally become an accredited journalist working and writing professionally and I think keeping my platform as Mykki Blanco as a hub not just for entertainment but for all of these points will create an organic think tank those that follow me can benefit from. This May I have decided to travel to Nepal to begin learning about homosexuality and LGBT rights in Nepalese society specifically that of the "third gender" group referred to as "Meti". I've decided to begin to do this kind of "in the field" work as a way to gain initial experience doing investigative journalism. As a novice to this field what I hope to gain the most is an inside look at what daily life is like for these individuals in their society and a way for me to take the first baby steps in learning to write and work in this way before I re-enter school ( I've missed most admissions deadlines for the fall ). Many feel as if I'm "jumping ship"... "Where's your album" etc... But I must be honest, writing words that rhyme over beats made by other people mostly male no longer interests me and I've felt this way for over a year now. I do not find being a "rapper" fascinating and rather than waste the remaining 9 months of 2015 in some kind of FAKE existential crisis where I pretend I don't know what I want I'm taking the initial steps to securing what I know I do want, to observe and write about places and cultures in our world not known to many and to better educate myself about the cultures, gender politics and patriarchy that shape our society so that I may one day be able to speak and influence our world in a way a dance song and music video cannot.

What?

:o :O I CAN'T, He's not the best rapper alive but i like his songs, I hope he release one mixtape with unreleased or something like that

Right? I can't at him teasing new singles and an album for like years and then completely giving up on the whole thing. :shocked: He was becoming incredibly pretentious and his music was going downhill tho so I can't say I'll be up at night over his decision. :morning: