The Grants Vs. Lorde!

Jimmy Gnecco

So in a couple of interviews when Lorde isn't complaining about being poor, she's been attacking a variety of other musicians. Lorde doesn't mildly shade , like every other artist, she calls people out. One of Lordes favorite target has been the queen: Lana Del Rey. Lorde in two seperate interviews has bad mouthed Lana. In one interview the kiwi singer says :

Loving the expert shade in this thread. :stretcher: I'm still crying at that Amazon bio.

Anyway, I've said it before but I'll say it again: Lorde doesn't have a clue what she's talking about. When Lana was writing those songs she lived in a trailer park and was helping homeless people recover from drug and alcohol addictions. If she was talking about living in Hollywood and driving a Bugatti, it was purely from an aspirational standpoint and she was clearly using that as a fantasy to escape from whatever she was dealing with.

"You have to take me right now, from this dark tailer park life." :morning:

So next time Lorde wants to attempt to throw shade towards an artist who's more successful than her, she should probably learn to analyse things properly and not take everything at face value.

#Pressed&Obsessed

Loving the expert shade in this thread. :stretcher: I'm still crying at that Amazon bio.

Anyway, I've said it before but I'll say it again: Lorde doesn't have a clue what she's talking about. When Lana was writing those songs she lived in a trailer park and was helping homeless people recover from drug and alcohol addictions. If she was talking about living in Hollywood and driving a Bugatti, it was purely from an aspirational standpoint and she was clearly using that as a fantasy to escape from whatever she was dealing with.

"You have to take me right now, from this dark tailer park life." :morning:

So next time Lorde wants to attempt to throw shade towards an artist who's more successful than her, she should probably learn to analyse things properly and not take everything at face value.

#Pressed&Obsessed

:hat: :hat:

I think she's mainly just so young and immature that she's going to end up biting the hand that feeds her. I'm just hoping she's not a complete idiot and burns all of her bridges like Azealia did. Also, cannot agree anymore with lorde talking out of her ass about things.

:hat: :hat:

I think she's mainly just so young and immature that she's going to end up biting the hand that feeds her. I'm just hoping she's not a complete idiot and burns all of her bridges like Azealia did. Also, cannot agree anymore with lorde talking out of her ass about things.

I wasn't that dumb at that age tbh, I'm sure of it. :morning: And yeah you're right, she's not quite on Azealia level yet but I can see it happening if she doesn't watch out.

I wasn't that dumb at that age tbh, I'm sure of it. :morning: And yeah you're right, she's not quite on Azealia level yet but I can see it happening if she doesn't watch out.

Yeah she's old enough to know that what she is doing is dumb but she's still doing it so i am really confused about it AND THIS HOW AZEALIA STARTED WITH ON FIGHT AND WE ALL LOVED HER THEN IT GOT DOWNHILL FAST

Mo summed it up perfectly, but I feel we should share the Amazon bio in full, just to appreciate how pretentious and self-assured it is:

Amidst a world of calculating contest winners, manufactured show ponies and cheap knock offs - Lorde is a true original.

She is Ella Yelich-O'Connor, born and raised on Auckland

I know she's a new artist, so she has to get her name out there and all, but these interviews aren't exactly doing wonders for her street cred. She comes off exactly as you'd hope she wouldn't be: a pretentious seventeen-year-old girl who's taken a few creative writing classes in her time. It makes her far more unappealing than she already was. She needs to take some time out and grow up before she gets into that rut where Azealia Banks is currently stuck.

I think Chuck was holding back a lot more than she should've, in that tweet. If you're gonna call someone out, do it right.

STOP THIS

I love Lorde & Lana

And she has right, you won't want young girls to listen to a grown woman saying she can't live without somebody BUT why do young girls listen to lana? That's the real question.

+ Lana use her songs as her diary, she tell us a story through them, Lana is one of those singers who write for her and not for the public. Unlike Lorde.

This is really difficult, seeing as the only two people I stan for are Lana and Lorde.

I think Lorde's criticism of some of Lana's lyrics is spot-fucking-on. I know Lana uses her songs like a diary, and they are not political manifestos but personal recollections--but seriously there are some unhealthy relationships that should not be glorified as love when they're really abuse/obsession. I know personally Lana has always made me feel squicky in that aspect. Actually, in the forward of her beloved Lolita, Nabokov says he was dismayed to find out that people thought the book was a love story when in fact it was a tale of relationship violence and insane fixation.

On the poor thing...it's a complex that can eat you alive. I feel it. It's hard to see people wearing Ann Taylor to school or driving BMWs to work when you're wearing Goodwill shoes and driving a used car. But Lorde does need to grow the fuck up and deal with it. Anyway, as a major-label musician now she must be rolling it in so she can buy the ~Cadillac in her dreams.

Her shade-throwing is a little heavy-handed, and she shouldn't be throwing anything when she lives in a glass house (because of her newness to the industry). But I mean who isn't a judgemental cunt when they're 16? I would throw my 16 year old self down 18 flights of stairs. And please, accusing Lorde of stealing things when Lana has blatantly stolen lyrics (hello Britney lyrics in Ghetto Baby and "Hit Me and it Felt Like a Kiss" song in Beautiful Player) and themes.

I guess in conclusion....they're both flawed human beings, neither of them really ready for the spotlight at the time they were thrust into fame. Lorde's still growing up--remember the bitchy comments Charli XCX made about Gaga when she was 15? I don't think it should be blown out of porportion, we don't need a So Legit Part II.

STOP THIS

I love Lorde & Lana

And she has right, you won't want young girls to listen to a grown woman saying she can't live without somebody BUT why do young girls listen to lana? That's the real question.

+ Lana use her songs as her diary, she tell us a story through them, Lana is one of those singers who write for her and not for the public. Unlike Lorde.

Funny how you're so quick to start dat Gaga drama but when it comes to Lana you act all defensive. :morning:

This is really difficult, seeing as the only two people I stan for are Lana and Lorde.

I think Lorde's criticism of some of Lana's lyrics is spot-fucking-on. I know Lana uses her songs like a diary, and they are not political manifestos but personal recollections--but seriously there are some unhealthy relationships that should not be glorified as love when they're really abuse/obsession. I know personally Lana has always made me feel squicky in that aspect. Actually, in the forward of her beloved Lolita, Nabokov says he was dismayed to find out that people thought the book was a love story when in fact it was a tale of relationship violence and insane fixation.

On the poor thing...it's a complex that can eat you alive. I feel it. It's hard to see people wearing Ann Taylor to school or driving BMWs to work when you're wearing Goodwill shoes and driving a used car. But Lorde does need to grow the fuck up and deal with it. Anyway, as a major-label musician now she must be rolling it in so she can buy the ~Cadillac in her dreams.

Her shade-throwing is a little heavy-handed, and she shouldn't be throwing anything when she lives in a glass house (because of her newness to the industry). But I mean who isn't a judgemental cunt when they're 16? I would throw my 16 year old self down 18 flights of stairs. And please, accusing Lorde of stealing things when Lana has blatantly stolen lyrics (hello Britney lyrics in Ghetto Baby and "Hit Me and it Felt Like a Kiss" song in Beautiful Player) and themes.

I guess in conclusion....they're both flawed human beings, neither of them really ready for the spotlight at the time they were thrust into fame. Lorde's still growing up--remember the bitchy comments Charli XCX made about Gaga when she was 15? I don't think it should be blown out of porportion, we don't need a So Legit Part II.

I do agree with you, but like Nabokov, I don't think that everything Lana says should be taken at face value. Yes, she's essentially singing about abuse, but there's a difference between singing about something and actively encouraging it. For me, Lana is exploring the mindset of someone who's stuck in an abusive relationship non-judgementally and examining why they would want to stay there. I also think it's kind of hypocritical for Lorde, someone with lyrics like "I'll be the beauty queen in tears" and "You can watch through your window" to be trying to drag Lana for doing exactly the same thing she does in her songs.

I do think it was kind of going too far for Chuck to accuse Lorde of plagiarism, but I think it was more the fact that she was supporting her sister which I liked rather than the actual sentiment of what she was saying. And I do see your point about Lorde still growing up, but for an artist who essentially became famous because everyone was all "Wow, I can't believe she's 16 and yet writing such amazing songs!" I would have expected her to be more emotionally mature. :tan: