Drug Use In Portugal Down by Half Ten Years After Decriminilization

Main Pop Girl

Drug warriors often contend that drug use would skyrocket if we were to legalize or decriminalize drugs in the United States. Fortunately, we have a real-world example of the actual effects of ending the violent, expensive War on Drugs and replacing it with a system of treatment for problem users and addicts.

Ten years ago, Portugal decriminalized all drugs. One decade after this unprecedented experiment, drug abuse is down by half.

Health experts in Portugal said Friday that Portugal

Interesting statistics, to be sure. The matter of whether this could work in the US is something of a different animal. There are a lot of factors at play, the largest of which is probably the South and Central American drug cartels. Treating Portugal as a microcosm of other modern societies may not be the smartest decision. Still, there is some merit to the law, as is demonstrated by the numbers.

Interesting statistics, to be sure. The matter of whether this could work in the US is something of a different animal. There are a lot of factors at play, the largest of which is probably the South and Central American drug cartels. Treating Portugal as a microcosm of other modern societies may not be the smartest decision. Still, there is some merit to the law, as is demonstrated by the numbers.

You're right, but I think that if the government decriminalised drugs and allowed people to sell them legally then the drug cartels would essentially go out of business. They'd also be able to regulate what goes into the drugs themselves, aka make sure they're not spiked with anything lethal.

I've been singing this song for the past x years. Once again, furthering my disappointment in America. First it was the little things that didn't matter on a political scale like movies and music...well, that's not true. Movies are pretty much full of propaganda. Anywho, now we've pushed into actual legal issues. Mo, I got a plane ticket whenever you're ready to swap. :morning::lol:

I've been singing this song for the past x years. Once again, furthering my disappointment in America. First it was the little things that didn't matter on a political scale like movies and music...well, that's not true. Movies are pretty much full of propaganda. Anywho, now we've pushed into actual legal issues. Mo, I got a plane ticket whenever you're ready to swap. :morning::lol:

Feel free to come to Australia! We have all the same problems as you guys do but minus any of the interesting culture or history. :roll:

Feel free to come to Australia! We have all the same problems as you guys do but minus any of the interesting culture or history. :roll:

I don't know man, I remember loving Australia as a kid. At least when I was in Sydney I had more chances to go surfing. Nowadays I gotta drive at least an hour to go, so I can't just fit that into my morning routines. :/

I don't know man, I remember loving Australia as a kid. At least when I was in Sydney I had more chances to go surfing. Nowadays I gotta drive at least an hour to go, so I can't just fit that into my morning routines. :/

I guess Sydney might be funner if I actually knew how to surf. :stretcher: Although I'm like two hours away from a beach myself so I guess we have the same problems!

Honestly willing to trade identities with you though. Let me know if you're interested. xo

I guess Sydney might be funner if I actually knew how to surf. :stretcher: Although I'm like two hours away from a beach myself so I guess we have the same problems!

Honestly willing to trade identities with you though. Let me know if you're interested. xo

Surfing, beach tanning, skim boarding, water skiing, I miss all of it.

Although yeah, two hours is pretty killer. At that rate I'd just have my screensaver be the beach and then fall asleep with that as the last image in my head. Hopefully I could sway my subconscious to dream me at a beach.

Surfing, beach tanning, skim boarding, water skiing, I miss all of it.

Although yeah, two hours is pretty killer. At that rate I'd just have my screensaver be the beach and then fall asleep with that as the last image in my head. Hopefully I could sway my subconscious to dream me at a beach.

You should try lucid dreaming. I'm sure you could fly yourself to a beach if you wanted to. :morning:

Incidentally, did you know that certain drugs can encourage lucid dreaming? Did you like that segue? xo