S Club

Heartbreak Anthem

Leigh-Keily-S-CLUB-XIX-1776jpg-JS8337074

S Club, formerly known as S Club 7, are a British pop group formed in 1998. They originally comprised Tina Barrett, Paul Cattermole, Jon Lee, Bradley McIntosh, Jo O'Meara, Hannah Spearritt and Rachel Stevens. The members have sometimes performed in smaller groups under the names S Club Allstars or S Club 3.

S Club 7 were formed by the former Spice Girls manager Simon Fuller, who signed them to Polydor Records. They rose to fame with their BBC television sitcom Miami 7, aimed at a young audience. Within five years, they achieved four UK number-one singles, a UK number-one album (S Club), several successful singles in Europe and a top-10 single on the US Hot 100 ("Never Had a Dream Come True"). They recorded four studio albums, released 11 singles, and have sold more than 10 million albums worldwide. Miami 7 lasted four seasons and was watched by over 90 million viewers.

S Club 7 won BRIT Awards in 2000 for British breakthrough act and in 2002 for best British single. In 2001, they earned the Record of the Year award. After Cattermole departed in 2002 to join a metal band, the group removed the "7" from their name. Their penultimate single reached number five in the UK charts and their final album failed to make the top ten. They disbanded in 2003.

After disbanding, some members suffered financial problems and were critical of Fuller's management. O'Meara was implicated in a bullying controversy in the reality television show Celebrity Big Brother. The members performed intermittently in smaller groups. S Club 7 reunited for a UK tour in 2015 before splitting again. In 2023, they announced an arena tour to mark 25 years since their formation; however, Cattermole died in April that year and Spearritt withdrew from the tour in May.

Jo was always my favorite member and I have both her albums in a storage facility somewhere, hundreds of miles away (the second one signed). However, despite her quality facial refresh - her tattoos in 2023 make me shudder and I find them unpleasant to look at.

I always liked her voice and whilst it’s not her fault - now that she’s grown, it’s clear that it’s gone down a couple of keys which would have been acceptable if autotune hadn’t been used on the production.

The single release of ”You’re My Number One” (specifically the bridge part), was the point where I finally liked something they released and I was fully on board from the second album era “7” (still there best album era for me despite their other album era’s having other, lesser highlights).

Rachel might only have had two albums (like Jo), but unlike Jo - she had the full weight of Simon Fuller and 19 Management group behind her and that meant seven music videos and extended club mixes and even today, I still go back to “So Good” on a semi-regular basis and have fond memories of it being on heavy rotation in my then favorite nightclub of choice.

However the above group video relies on a similar kind of nostalgia as this from 2003 and over the years, it never sat right with me that Rachel never invited any of the group to her 2009 wedding and I subsequently never bought into the PR she later gave in this interview.

That she is now divorced after 12 years is (for me) beside the point and after the way she cast her group-mates aside at her 2009 wedding - I don’t buy into the nostalgia of the “These are the Days” video (even though Paul was always the Hot one).

I question whether Rachel would even sit down in a room with these people if she wasn’t being paid very generously and under contract to do so.  I would very much love to see them socializing together off the clock and away from work.

As yet another (with any luck, fully fledged) Spice Girls reunion - is also on the cards (and presumably managed by Simon Fuller/ 19 Management), I hope this indicator that S Club have made new recordings - is an early portent that at long last the Spice Girls will as well, (although I won’t hold my breathe).

On the strength of other hypothetically forthcoming tracks from any upcoming fifth and full length, S Club studio album - I remain open and am excited for the ‘Pop’ potential of that album.

Whilst I find the excessive usage of old footage of Paul (now deceased), to be clinically commercial - I like the fact that the conditions of this reunion now make it increasingly difficult for individual members of Girls Aloud to continue to use Sarah’s death as an excuse to not also reform in interviews.

Tina is my new favorite as she comes across as the most sincere and low-key perplexed about the fact this reunion is not only still happening, but also growing in momentum.

On 7/26/2023 at 6:17 AM, Dax Diameter said:

However the above group video relies on a similar kind of nostalgia as this from 2003 and over the years, it never sat right with me that Rachel never invited any of the group to her 2009 wedding and I subsequently never bought into the PR she later gave in this interview.

I believe Rachel, because they've all said this at some point that prior to the 2014 reunion, they all drifted in and out of each other's lives. It happens. It's natural. I don't  I do believe she'd sit down with them, and to question otherwise is... something else I won't get into. But, I do believe they all care deeply for each other, but like friends and co-workers, you drift in and out of each other's lives. I hadn't seen (or spoken to) a friend of mine, who I've known since my sophomore year of high school, the other week for the first time since pre-COVID, and had a nice, short conversation. That's how that is sometimes.

• WTF 1

Hannah is not happy!

Hannah Spearritt is said to be “devastated” after allegedly being forced out of the upcoming S Club 7 reunion tour.

The Norfolk-born singer joined her fellow bandmates back in February when they first announced plans to reform to mark their 25th anniversary.

In April however, member Paul Cattermole, whom Spearritt previously dated, died suddenly from heart complications aged 46.

Shortly after, the group announced that they were rebranding to S Club and continuing with the tour minus Spearitt which a source has claimed was news to her.

“Hannah is devastated,” the insider told The Sun. “She was pushed out and doesn’t understand why. The rest of S Club has been told not to contact her.”

According to them, the first she knew she was out was when her bandmates posted a video to social media telling the rest of the world which she found “hurtful”.

It’s reported that unlike the others who were quick to sign on the dotted line, she had some concerns regarding contracts and was dragging her feet.

“The rest of the band signed their contracts to go on tour in the blink of an eye and said Yes to everything,” they dished.

Adding: “For various reasons, Hannah took her time and pushed back on a few details. Suddenly, without her knowledge, S Club’s comeback was launched without her.”

While it is believed that she has since signed a contract, it is unknown at this stage whether the mum-of-two will rejoin the tour due to feeling “betrayed”.

She recently announced plans to release a tell-all book which is due for release in October when S Club’s tour is due to kick off.

The group meanwhile released their first new music in 20 years as a tribute to Cattermole.

The Standard has contacted a representative for S Club for comment.

I don't know much about the politics of their group, but it sounds like she wasn't happy with some elements of their contract and instead of trying to work it out management just pushed ahead without her. Doesn't seem particularly fair for the ex-girlfriend of a group member who's just committed suicide, but hey, that's Simon Fuller for you!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Main Pop Girl said:

Hannah is not happy!

I don't know much about the politics of their group, but it sounds like she wasn't happy with some elements of their contract and instead of trying to work it out management just pushed ahead without her. Doesn't seem particularly fair for the ex-girlfriend of a group member who's just committed suicide, but hey, that's Simon Fuller for you!

I don't buy unnamed sources; when they were on This Morning and this report was brought up, Jo looked noticeably PISSED about it being brought up.

15 hours ago, Main Pop Girl said:

Hannah is not happy!

I agree. There is talk Hannah had to hire her own lawyer to get out of this reunion as she remains contractually obliged to be a part of it (having signed up to most of the activities that fall under the scope of the reunion, prior to Paul’s death).

Simon Fuller is the type who would ordinarily sue for breach of those contractual obligations but it appears even he realizes how bad the optics are of suing the grieving ex-girlfriend of a now deceased group member (that being the presumed reason why Hannah is no longer there).

It does feel too soon since Paul passed for them to be embarking on this tour (and the separate matter of an apparent studio album that both Alison and Dermot were remiss in not asking the five about during their most recent “This Morning” interview).

I’m close to where this is unfolding and the consensus of water cooler gossip is that it’s “sad” they (including Simon Fuller), are so desperate to milk the reunion cash cow that they are prepared to put profit before any genuine empathy towards Hannah or her grieving process.

There’s no way the U.K. tabloids won’t be after an interview with her whereby she presents her side of what has gone down (there are two sides to every story after-all) plus the fact that she has yet to step out of her grief bubble to even give so much as a short interview is very telling not only about her grief but also about what she might have to say about Simon Fuller.

No doubt the first thing her own independently hired lawyer would have advised her is, if she criticizes him and his business methods in the media, then she faces financial ruination.

Edited by Dax Diameter

On 8/4/2023 at 8:41 AM, Dax Diameter said:

I agree. There is talk Hannah had to hire her own lawyer to get out of this reunion as she remains contractually obliged to be a part of it (having signed up to most of the activities that fall under the scope of the reunion, prior to Paul’s death).

Simon Fuller is the type who would ordinarily sue for breach of those contractual obligations but it appears even he realizes how bad the optics are of suing the grieving ex-girlfriend of a now deceased group member (that being the presumed reason why Hannah is no longer there).

It does feel too soon since Paul passed for them to be embarking on this tour (and the separate matter of an apparent studio album that both Alison and Dermot were remiss in not asking the five about during their most recent “This Morning” interview).

I’m close to where this is unfolding and the consensus of water cooler gossip is that it’s “sad” they (including Simon Fuller), are so desperate to milk the reunion cash cow that they are prepared to put profit before any genuine empathy towards Hannah or her grieving process.

There’s no way the U.K. tabloids won’t be after an interview with her whereby she presents her side of what has gone down (there are two sides to every story after-all) plus the fact that she has yet to step out of her grief bubble to even give so much as a short interview is very telling not only about her grief but also about what she might have to say about Simon Fuller.

No doubt the first thing her own independently hired lawyer would have advised her is, if she criticizes him and his business methods in the media, then she faces financial ruination.

It does feel too soon to me, but I guess if they had some of this stuff planned before he died they might not wanna break their contracts with venues and stuff. Plus at least a couple of them are having financial difficulties so I guess they might not have much choice but to go ahead with it.

Either way, I hope Hannah's able to find some happiness in the middle of what must be a very difficult time :( 

• YAAASSS 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...