Record Labels....Help or hindrence??

Newtooz18

Homos and Heteros

How important do you think record labels are in 2022?

As a true music stan I am sure you have heard countless stories,many artsits feeling trapped or restricted by their labels regregarding releasing music true 'to their artististic vision'

Avril's new album (for those that have heard it) is a TRUE return to form where she sounds energized and TRUE to herself and will be released on an indie label and I can think of other, a la Robyn who went from a manufactured pop star to the BRILLIANT self released album in 2007 (her best ever work IMO) and more artists are rejecting the major labels to go Indie.

Do you think an artist can only survive in this day age without a major record deal or do you think an artist can gain notability without major label success?

• Like 1

Well, from what I know or from my experience, all I can say is nowadays artists have so many opportunities to do things on their own and on their terms being independent. Two singers I really enjoy listening to, who have been in the industry for less than a decade but have a decent fanbase and have never been signed (EMM and River Westin) both really put the effort and the vision in their work, despite being independent and always been that way. They're not big names in the industry YET, and I believe they can achieve that if they decide to because they have the talent and the potential to do hits more often than what they've done to date.

I'm not the best example either, but I make some music myself and literally I do everything on my own, from writing songs to releasing them. I do have a loooong way to go yet, but people with more talent and a couple collaborators in their social circle can achieve great things without a label. If even I managed to put two albums out...

Of course, labels can offer you the big scene. Big budget, music videos, being literally everywhere because BIG promo, etc. But I don't think they're essential for a beginner artist. And it seems to me that the trend is to go independent. It's way easier to put music out nowadays than it was 20 years ago, so yeah, that's my opinion on it.

Sorry if I said some nonsense though, it happens when I try to reply in essay form :cry: 

• Like 2

to be blunt here, i think it's a mixture of both.

if you want more promotion (examples: performing on shows like Ellen, etc/touring) and overall making it big, then definitely. i truly don't think (let's say) Olivia Rodrigo would be as hyped up and well known as she is if it wasn't for the promotion and of course, her label. her fanbase [dubbed as livies] hype her up and support her, no doubt in that. but had it not been for her record label, her song "drivers license" would be NO WHERE NEAR where it was and still is today.

however, i agree with you on an artist's creative freedom and that's why i say both.

Edited by moonlightjepsen
  • Like 3

I've been impressed with some of the quality material that indie artists have been putting out lately! I actually wonder where a lot of people are getting the money for these things from, but I guess it's maybe cheaper than it used to be to make music if you're recording from a home studio and working with smaller producers.

I definitely think there's a lot more creative freedom as an indie artist, but like you guys have said it does mean less money upfront which make things hard. Still, I'd rather have an artist who's got total freedom to release whatever albums they want rather than an artist who has to conform to what their label wants, so I'm here for the trend :hail: 

• Like 2
  • YAAASSS 1

7 hours ago, Leaving said:

I've been impressed with some of the quality material that indie artists have been putting out lately! I actually wonder where a lot of people are getting the money for these things from, but I guess it's maybe cheaper than it used to be to make music if you're recording from a home studio and working with smaller producers.

I definitely think there's a lot more creative freedom as an indie artist, but like you guys have said it does mean less money upfront which make things hard. Still, I'd rather have an artist who's got total freedom to release whatever albums they want rather than an artist who has to conform to what their label wants, so I'm here for the trend :hail: 

MTE!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, die4u said:

Not really. You can use third-part promoters for your material if you have the budget, the thing is know how to play the game on TikTok nowdays 💀

I disagree slightly. The budget itself could relate to amny things. I remember hearing years ago that Nerina Pallot had to remortage her house to self fund the production of her album Fires, which was a success (in the UK at least) as her label wouldn't fund it, despite her having a mega hit with her first single (a decade before, admitedlly but a 'classic' that should have kept her rich from royalities until the day she died. 

@Leaving another Aussie example is Candice Alley who had success with her debut single Falling but the album was a weak piece of piss and she left to create music on her own terms. The album was not a commercial success but I adore the tits of it and would highly reccommend it if you haven't already heard it?

https://mega.nz/folder/Yy4X1QIB#eutV2oQpsn9mP_NJj_IiDw

2 hours ago, Newtooz18 said:

@Leaving another Aussie example is Candice Alley who had success with her debut single Falling but the album was a weak piece of piss and she left to create music on her own terms. The album was not a commercial success but I adore the tits of it and would highly reccommend it if you haven't already heard it?

https://mega.nz/folder/Yy4X1QIB#eutV2oQpsn9mP_NJj_IiDw

Her name sounds familiar :orly: I'll check out some of her singles!

• Like 1

On 2/27/2022 at 2:37 AM, Leaving said:

Preach!

• Like 1
  • YAAASSS 1