Nicola Roberts refuses to support government's online hate bill

365MM

So she's annoyed that they don't have a law saying that people can create a new account after it's deleted? Idk...Kids are getting on social media at like 10 now. If they made a stupid comment at that age I don't think it should be held against them for the rest of their life and they should never be allowed to have social media again. Maybe a twelve month suspension would do more good?

Either way I think it should probably be left up to the social media companies so I don't really think it needs to be a law. Still, good on her for being so active in these bills!

@Skinny Legend Yeah, when you put it like that. I think she means for ppl who seriously troll, but I didn’t think about kids really. I’m not old but I do keep getting surprised at how much more involved/younger kids are exposed and involved with social media. (Didn’t have my own cell phone before I was 16 lol) No, I think everyone says stupid things we don’t mean or even understand when we’re kids. That’s not justifiable accountability. 

I guess I’m more supportive of her standing her ground and wanting something comprehensive or not just a token gesture. Maybe it’s an unrealistic hardline, but maybe her celebrity of not being the smiling face of a half-hearted law is leverage for something better. What that is (especially because I do think you are right), I’m not sure. 

Positive progress anyway, I guess?

9 hours ago, 365MM said:

@Skinny Legend Yeah, when you put it like that. I think she means for ppl who seriously troll, but I didn’t think about kids really. I’m not old but I do keep getting surprised at how much more involved/younger kids are exposed and involved with social media. (Didn’t have my own cell phone before I was 16 lol) No, I think everyone says stupid things we don’t mean or even understand when we’re kids. That’s not justifiable accountability. 

I guess I’m more supportive of her standing her ground and wanting something comprehensive or not just a token gesture. Maybe it’s an unrealistic hardline, but maybe her celebrity of not being the smiling face of a half-hearted law is leverage for something better. What that is (especially because I do think you are right), I’m not sure. 

Positive progress anyway, I guess?

It's crazy isn't it!? I see 10 year olds on Instagram who call people fat and claim to be bisexual asexual demisexual aliens and I'm just like :orly:

I hope you're right! I think the fact that England is even making a law about cyber-attacks is actually pretty great to begin with so I'm sure anything she adds would be a cherry on top. Hopefully it makes some real difference!

• LMAO 1