"Brazilian Trump" Jair Bolsonaro Wins Presidency

Main Pop Girl

GettyImages-105458691-1540764832.jpg?aut

With 55.4% of the votes against the 2nd-place Fernando Haddad of the Worker's Party in the 2nd round of presidential voting, far-right and nationalist candidate Jair Bolsonaro has become president-elect of Brazil.

Bolsonaro is well-known for espousing terrible views, some of which will now be poised to become national policy in Brazil, including:

1. Praising of the military dictatorship in Brazil (1964-1985), saying that "the error of the dictatorship was that it tortured, but it did not kill."
  2. In 1998, Bolsonaro praised the Pinochet dictatorship in Chile, saying that it "should have killed more people."
  3. When casting his vote in favor of the impeachment of former Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff, he claimed he was doing so in the memory of Brilhante Ustra, a notorious torturer in the Brazilian dictatorship.
  4. In the 1990s, Bolsonaro said he would shut down the national congress should he be elected president.
  5. Has praised Donald Trump and his foreign policy.
  6. Has claimed there is "no such thing as a secular state," and "the minority will have to change" to Christianity, showing religious intolerance and a violation of the principle of separating church and state in modern societies.
  7. Has claimed that indigenous Brazilians do not have any right to their traditional lands.
  8. Has claimed women do not deserve an equal salary as a man for the same job, because they can become pregnant.
  9. Has said that the federal law mandating maternity leave harms work productivity.
  10. Told a congresswoman that she was "not worth raping; she's very ugly." He eventually only had to pay a fine for saying this.
  11. Has openly said he would be incapable of loving a gay son, and would prefer, should he have one, that he "die in an accident." He has also claimed that if a gay couple moved next door to him it would "lower the market value of his house."
  12. In 2011, publicly linked homosexuality with pedophilia, and claimed his family had no risk of producing a gay child, nor do they date darker-skinned women, because they had a good education.
  13. In 2002, claimed he would physically assault gay people he saw expressing affection in the street.
  14. To openly gay actress Ellen Page, in response to being asked if she should have been beaten as a child for being gay (something he also said), he replied, "You are very nice. If I were a cadet in the military academy and saw you on the street, I would whistle at you. All right? You are very pretty." Bolsonaro added, "Over time, due to liberal habits, drugs, with women also working, the number of homosexuals has really increased."
  15. In 2008, appeared to advocate for the sterilization of the poor, because they were too uneducated to understand family planning.
  16. Had hired his wife as his secretary while in congress and faced charges of nepotism after her salary more than tripled.
  17. Is pro-gun, advocating that citizens have the right to self-defense and should be able to own firearms, especially in rural areas.
  18. Wants to "develop" the Amazon rainforest.

It seems like the world is a string of dominos, and now that America has fallen to the far right every other country is too. This kind of rhetoric is so scary to hear and it makes me so upset for all the Brazilian people I've met online. I'm thinking of you all and I hope you know there's a big world out there where you don't have to deal with this kind of bullshit. Stay strong. <3 

• Sad 2

On 10/30/2018 at 11:16 AM, liberation said:

This is such a tragedy tbh... It was super expected but seeing it becoming reality was so awful and scary. And to think that he has quite a lot of lgbt supporters is what shocks me the most ? 

entertainment gaga GIF

He has LGBT supporters? :orly::disgusted: I was talking to my friend who has family in Brazil and she said that people were just voting against the old government who is SUPER corrupt rather than voting for this party which is just a little corrupt... :yeah: But either way it's sad people could vote for such a prejudiced human being.

On 10/31/2018 at 11:25 PM, Rexhar Lover said:

I'm scared, we don't know what to expect from this government. fuDx7kB.gif

True. :yeah: Although I read somewhere that even though he's president, he doesn't have the majority in congress so he won't get anything passed. Is that true?

On 11/5/2018 at 5:35 AM, Skinny Legend said:

True. :yeah: Although I read somewhere that even though he's president, he doesn't have the majority in congress so he won't get anything passed. Is that true?

not true, he has a strong opposition but still has a majority in the congress :yeah:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1