Australia votes YES to same sex marriage

Ari

image.png

Australians have voted in favour of legalising same-sex marriage in a historic non-binding poll. The vote showed 61.6% of people favour allowing same-sex couples to wed, the Australian Bureau of Statistics said. More than 12.7 million people - about 79.5% of eligible voters - took part in the eight-week postal survey.
PM Malcolm Turnbull said the "overwhelming" result meant his government would aim to change the law in parliament before Christmas. "[Australians] have spoken in their millions and they have voted overwhelmingly yes for marriage equality," he said after the result was announced. "They voted yes for fairness, yes for commitment, yes for love. And now it is up to us here in the parliament of Australia to get on with it."

:yaskween:

This whole postal vote was disgusting. :idkher: It was a complete waste of $22 million and the system was unreliable. I didn't even get to vote because my parents accidentally threw out my slip and we weren't allowed to get another one. :cackle: 

But with all that said, I'm happy to see we got such a great result. <3 Let's just hope they actually put this through in parliament because even after all this effort there's no legal obligation for them to make this law. :disgusted: 

• YAAASSS 2

20 hours ago, Countess said:

This whole postal vote was disgusting. :idkher: It was a complete waste of $22 million and the system was unreliable. I didn't even get to vote because my parents accidentally threw out my slip and we weren't allowed to get another one. :cackle: 

But with all that said, I'm happy to see we got such a great result. <3 Let's just hope they actually put this through in parliament because even after all this effort there's no legal obligation for them to make this law. :disgusted: 

It was messy from what I heard about it, waste of money and all that stuff. They shouldn't have even done a vote on this, it's one of those things that should give an immediate pass.

I definitely think they'll make it legal now, they'd be stupid not too and if they don't they will face massive backlash for it until they do so. 
    Fingers crossed! :sassy:

13 hours ago, Ari said:

It was messy from what I heard about it, waste of money and all that stuff. They shouldn't have even done a vote on this, it's one of those things that should give an immediate pass.

I definitely think they'll make it legal now, they'd be stupid not too and if they don't they will face massive backlash for it until they do so. 
    Fingers crossed! :sassy:

I agree with you sis. The whole point of the government is to take responsibility and show leadership and they failed by making the Australian public vote on something that should be obvious. :disgusted: I really hope so, our government is so fucking dumb that it would be just like them to cancel it at the last minute. :cackle: But I'll keep my fingers crossed with you!

On 15/11/2017 at 2:09 PM, Countess said:

It was a complete waste of $22 million and the system was unreliable. I didn't even get to vote because my parents accidentally threw out my slip and we weren't allowed to get another one. :cackle: 

Was $122 million actually, and you could have requested another as some people weren't receiving theres - I understand though like I think it was hard to get another, shame it got thrown out. The whole thing is a mess, that money could've been spent elsewhere just to find out if Australians wanted same sex marriage, er yes who cares if some people dont like it majority of Australia does. Should've done a poll online, would've been much cheaper.

They're already drafting bills to be passed, they recon it could be legal as soon as Christmas. Which is amazing news, regardless of how Australia did it were getting there in the end, even though the government is fucked and wasted time and energy and should've just said yes instead of making people voluntarily vote, with that much money you'd think they'd at least make it mandatory to vote.

• 2 weeks later...
    On 11/17/2017 at 0:52 AM, hounderawr said:

Was $122 million actually, and you could have requested another as some people weren't receiving theres - I understand though like I think it was hard to get another, shame it got thrown out. The whole thing is a mess, that money could've been spent elsewhere just to find out if Australians wanted same sex marriage, er yes who cares if some people dont like it majority of Australia does. Should've done a poll online, would've been much cheaper.

They're already drafting bills to be passed, they recon it could be legal as soon as Christmas. Which is amazing news, regardless of how Australia did it were getting there in the end, even though the government is fucked and wasted time and energy and should've just said yes instead of making people voluntarily vote, with that much money you'd think they'd at least make it mandatory to vote.

$122 million wasted which could have gone towards shelters for homeless youth, battered women or refugees from war-torn nations... :disgusted: It's actually gross. We did look into getting another one sent out but by the time my mum looked into it the cutoff date had already come and gone sadly. :yeah: And you're right, it totally should have been mandatory! They easily could have included it as a question in the census which would have saved time and money. They're ridiculous. :idkher: