David Cameron Resigns After UK Votes to Leave EU

Main Pop Girl

david-cameron_1939896c.jpg 

David Cameron has resigned as Prime Minister after Britain voted to leave the European Union.

It followed a turbulent night with Remain campaigners quietly confident until the early hours when results from Newcastle and Sunderland showed better than expected returns for the Brexit camp. 

A surprise victory for a Brexit in Swansea, which was expected to vote to Remain, did little to dampen concerns despite Scotland overwhelmingly backing staying in the Union. 

Other votes in Wales began to show a trend towards a surprise Leave vote, particularly in deprived communities. 

Cameron's voice breaks during emotional resignation speechPlay!04:42

Big wins for David Cameron's campaign in London and Oxford did little to allay fears that early predictions had been wrong, as the pound began to tank - down by 6% by around 1pm. 

Leave passed the finishing post just after 6am, as it became clear that nothing could swing the vote back in favour of the Remain campaign.

With the Leave campaign securing 52 per cent of the vote, Mr Cameron addressed the nation in an emotional speech outside 10 Downing Street to announce that he would be stepping down.

Statements are expected to be made by Sinn Fein and the SNP later today calling for a breakaway from the Union. London backed Remain but the turnout was lower than expected because of bad weather.

Meanwhile on the market, the FTSE 250 index has plunged a whopping 11.7pc. The index of so-called mid-cap companies had dropped an astonishing 2,017 points to 15,309 in the first few minutes of trading.

I don't know all that much about the effects of leaving the EU tbh - most of what I know is limited to finances and refugee intake. But it seems stupid that he'd leave his country in their hour of need. Just because things didn't go his way, that doesn't mean he should completely give up on everything he's been working for the past few years.

4 hours ago, Countess said:

david-cameron_1939896c.jpg 

I don't know all that much about the effects of leaving the EU tbh - most of what I know is limited to finances and refugee intake. But it seems stupid that he'd leave his country in their hour of need. Just because things didn't go his way, that doesn't mean he should completely give up on everything he's been working for the past few years.

I think he did it to prove something. He has a lot of respect among Brits. idk..

Hopefully Lindsay won't be next :( 

• YAAASSS 1

4 hours ago, Tweener said:

I think he did it to prove something. He has a lot of respect among Brits. idk..

Hopefully Lindsay won't be next :( 

He really doesn't have the respect of the British public, trust me. Nobody can believe anything he says or promises, he basically is just in it for himself. He now knows the British public will vote him out therefore he has resigned before that can happen. 

14 minutes ago, AmeliaLilyOnline said:

He really doesn't have the respect of the British public, trust me. Nobody can believe anything he says or promises, he basically is just in it for himself. He now knows the British public will vote him out therefore he has resigned before that can happen. 

idk... idc...meh....mess

lvzW6wT.png

• YAAASSS 1

22 hours ago, AmeliaLilyOnline said:

Wasn't he saying that the UK should remain in the EU tho? Or do you think they were gonna vote him out for other reasons that happened before this mess?

4 hours ago, Countess said:

Wasn't he saying that the UK should remain in the EU tho? Or do you think they were gonna vote him out for other reasons that happened before this mess?

It's been a long time coming; since the last election Cameron has been losing respect of the public and government, with the pig gate scandal and then the issue of the off shore bank accounts it was inevitable that it would come to this. The EU referendum was just the final blow to his career. - Will (AmeliaLilyOnline's boyfriend)

19 hours ago, AmeliaLilyOnline said:

It's been a long time coming; since the last election Cameron has been losing respect of the public and government, with the pig gate scandal and then the issue of the off shore bank accounts it was inevitable that it would come to this. The EU referendum was just the final blow to his career. - Will (AmeliaLilyOnline's boyfriend)

It's sad cos I feel like neither of those things are really his fault...one is probably false and the other was done by his dad, not him. :/

Also, don't fuck with my boo @AmeliaLilyOnline's heart again or I'll break uppercut you bitch. :mo: