Soundtrack vs Musical vs Score vs Cast Recording

trayertrash

Okay, this is something that has bothered me for years, and it need to be addressed (not to anyone on here, just the rest of the world)

A score is an album consisting of the instrumental/orchestral background music played during a movie.  Example: The Original Motion Picture Score Of Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, no songs with lyrics are played during the film, nor do any characters sing.

A soundtrack is an album consisting of music featured in the film. Most soundtracks include popular songs, or songs written specifically for the movie. Example: My Heart Will Go On from Titanic. Movies, such as Footloose, are often marketed as musicals, though no one actually sings in them. It is not a musical (discounting the Broadway version, but that will be discussed later) and people should no address it as a musical.

A musical is a film, live action or motion picture, that features songs sung by characters.  Examples: The Wizard Of Oz & a variety of Disney movies such as Aladdin, Lion King and Mary Poppins. Broadway shows are no musicals, nor should their albums be referred as musicals.

A Cast Recording is similar to a musical, but cast recording are strictly for Broadway, Off Broadway, Off Off Broadway, or a variety of on-stage performances. Cast Recordings are often recorded in-studio to achieve vocal perfection from performers, though,  there are quite a few cast recordings recorded live to give the listener a taste of the on-stage show. Example: Footloose: The Original Broadway Cast Recording. Avenue Q: The Original Off-Broadway Cast Recording. Billy Elliott: The Original London Cast Recording.

:vacuum:

This makes things a little easier tbh, although I'm still confused. Why does my Confessions of a Shopaholic soundtrack have an instrumental track on it?! And why does Frankenweenie not even have any music in it but still have a soundtrack?!

WHY CAN'T THINGS JUST BE EASY?!

Soundtracks can have instrumentals, but it's not considered a score album unless it's all instrumentals, though, scores like The Hobbit do have a few tracks where it includes dialogue, but anything more than a few non-score tracks is considered a soundtrack .  Frankenweenie's 'soundtrack' is really a score, though, Frankenweenie Unleashed is a soundtrack.

Soundtracks can have instrumentals, but it's not considered a score album unless it's all instrumentals, though, scores like The Hobbit do have a few tracks where it includes dialogue, but anything more than a few non-score tracks is considered a soundtrack .  Frankenweenie's 'soundtrack' is really a score, though, Frankenweenie Unleashed is a soundtrack.

I guess that makes sense. Still annoying tho. :vacuum:

• 5 months later...