Selena Gomez wins best actress at Cannes & Best Soundtrack (Featuring El Camino and 2 more songs by her)

This places her in an excellent position as an actress with an increasingly respected and growing reputation from the wider A-List film community in the lead up to what I’m sure is going to be her magnum acting opus in the form of the forthcoming Linda Ronstadt biopic.

On 6/2/2024 at 7:15 AM, Deadly Nightshade said:

This places her in an excellent position as an actress with an increasingly respected and growing reputation from the wider A-List film community in the lead up to what I’m sure is going to be her magnum acting opus in the form of the forthcoming Linda Ronstadt biopic.

I really hope she doesn't give up on music

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Shadelena said:

I really hope she doesn't give up on music

I don’t think she will.  After the market reaction to her two most recent singles, I think her label finally accept she has outgrown that style and are only now ready to let her travel further down her other more left of center, alt leaning musical path which many (including myself) have been crying out for her to revisit. Only her label were not planning on her going there so it’s taking a while to reset, recalibrate and to approach the music from a different angle.

Edited by Deadly Nightshade
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think that for much of their separate careers Selena and Demi (Lovato) have been perceived by many to have pretty much an equal footing.

They are now a long way in to adulthood but it was always inevitable a point in time would be reached when one of them would pull in front, expand upon their audience, attracting a wider demographic than what they set out with at the start of their separate journeys in the entertainment industry.

I don’t think anyone serious would argue Selena is a match for Demi’s superior vocal range, but against all odds Selena has turned out to have an instinctive, almost chameleon like quality which first began to reveal itself in her more left field music and visuals.

This same quality has now inexplicably expanded in to her acceptance by the international film community which includes some of the most artistic and cultured people in entertainment. The indie side of which is a fertile and creative breeding ground for any entertainer who seeks artistic growth.

I’m genuinely fascinated as to where Selena is heading now as it appears she has a very talented manager and Selena is consequently now on the precipice of delving more deeply in to the artistic side of the industry and abandoning the formulaic, strictly commercial hamster wheel she has been on for so long.

Edited by Deadly Nightshade
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Main Pop Girl said:

I'm sorry, but Selena winning a best actress award? :wut: I love her but I've never seen an above average acting performance from her. Am I missing something?

Her acting in OMITB is horrible but apparently this movie in Spanish is really good and she showed what she's capable of

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shadelena said:

Her acting in OMITB is horrible but apparently this movie in Spanish is really good and she showed what she's capable of

That's interesting to hear given that Selena has never been fluent in Spanish...It's giving publicity stunt to me but I guess I'll wait until I see the movie to judge