Adam Lambert Returns to WMG With EastWest Records Deal

adam-lambert-2022-billboard-pro-1260.jpg

Singer-songwriter and Queen collaborator Adam Lambert has returned to the Warner Music fold, signing a global deal with EastWest Records ahead of new music. The American Idol runner-up’s first release under the deal, a cover of Noël Coward’s “Mad About The Boy” for a documentary about the witty playwright, arrives Friday (Oct. 7).

According to the label, fans of Lambert can expect more music soon and a new album next year.

Lambert’s first pairing with WMG — for flagship Warner Records — resulted in 2015’s The Original High, which peaked at No. 3 on the Billboard 200 chart. That album, his third studio effort, followed a successful run at Sony Music’s RCA, where he scored a No. 1 album for 2012’s Trespassing and top-3 finish for his debut, 2009’s For Your Entertainment.

The singer and LGBTQ+ activist released his most recent studio album, Velvet, on Empire in March 2020. Later that year, Lambert scored a No. 1 on the UK Albums Chart with Live Around the World, a live album — released by Hollywood Records and EMI — as part of his Queen + Adam Lambert project.

“Working alongside the team at Warner Music UK, I’m excited to embark on this next stage of my career,” Lambert said. “I’ve been working on some great new music which I can’t wait for my fans to hear.”

Lambert’s version of “Mad About the Boy” hits streaming services on Friday. A feature documentary of the same name is being produced by Warner Music Entertainment and is due out in 2023.

In a statement, Rhino UK svp Myn Jazeel dubbed the U.S.-born Lambert “somewhat of a national treasure in the UK” given the singer’s high profile partnership with Queen, his performance earlier this year honoring another beloved Queen — at the Platinum Jubilee concert, marking 70 years of Queen Elizabeth II — and his role on the hit ITV talent show Starstruck.

“He’s also going to be hugely visible on national TV soon and, this combined with his new music, will delight his passionate fanbase, while showcasing what an incredible vocalist and performer he is to a new, even broader, audience,” said Jazeel.

x

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 808Dream said:

Didn't he leave Warner cause he was offered an 80s covers album? 

Don't know if I recall correctly what happened but was offended they asked him a covers album., so he left. 

I actually would have loved that. 

I remember this story too. He wanted to do an original album but they wanted him to do a covers album which they thought would be more successful.

Realistically I think either one would have flopped :yeah: But best of luck to him with the new deal!

3 hours ago, Leaving said:

Realistically I think either one would have flopped :yeah: 

LOL I guess yes. 

I remember he specifically spoke of a 80s covers album, i actually would have loved an 80s covers album by him, but I understand most of the times artists find degrading covers albums 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 808Dream said:

Didn't he leave Warner cause he was offered an 80s covers album? 

Don't know if I recall correctly what happened but was offended they asked him a covers album., so he left. 

I actually would have loved that. 

Mhmm, however, this seems to be a UK-based deal, so I'm sure the main players are different for him this time around. Plus, the team on Warner right now is different than back when he was first signed.