City Pop

Main Pop Girl

CityPop.jpgmariya.png

Does anyone else get into city pop? According to Wikipedia:

City pop (シティ・ポップ, shiti poppu) is a loosely defined form of Japanese pop music that emerged in the late 1970s and peaked in the 1980s. It was originally termed as an offshoot of Japan's Western-influenced "new music", but came to include a wide range of styles – including AOR, soft rock, R&B, funk, and boogie – that were associated with the country's nascent economic boom and leisure class. It was also identified with new technologies such as the Walkman, cars with built-in cassette decks and FM stereos, and various electronic musical instruments.

There is no unified consensus among scholars regarding the definition of city pop. In Japan, the tag simply referred to music that projected an "urban" feel and whose target demographic was urbanites. Many of the artists did not embrace the Japanese influences of their predecessors, and instead, largely drew from American soft rock, boogie, and funk. Some examples may also feature tropical flourishes or elements taken from disco, jazz fusion, Okinawan, Latin and Caribbean music. Singer-songwriter Tatsuro Yamashita, who was among the genre's pioneers and most successful artists, is sometimes called the "king" of city pop.

City pop lost mainstream appeal after the 1980s and was derided by younger generations of Japanese. In the early 2010s, partly through the instigation of music-sharing blogs and Japanese reissues, city pop gained an international online following as well as becoming a touchstone for the sample-based microgenres known as vaporwave and future funk.

Here's some of my favourite tracks from the genre!

• Like 1
  • YAAASSS 1

38 minutes ago, low kii savage said:

I love that genre and I remember it got quite famous in 2020 especially? Everyone were releasing songs that were somewhat inspired by it and I was living for it :hail:

I love that you know it too <3 I didn't know that people were releasing songs inspired by it tho! The only person I can think of is The Weeknd but I haven't seen anyone else referencing it before