Serbia Elects Their First Ever Lesbian Prime Minister

Main Pop Girl

4000.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

A gay woman has been appointed prime minister of Serbia in a double first for the EU-candidate state.

Ana Brnabić, 41, a graduate of the University of Hull in England, is the Balkan nation’s first gay PM and first female PM.

Brnabić’s appointment, which comes in the same week that Leo Varadkar was formally elected as Ireland’s first gay PM, is all the more remarkable given that virulent homophobia is still widespread in the Balkans.

The Serbian president, Aleksandar Vučić, announced on Thursday evening that he was giving Brnabić, a non-party technocrat, the mandate to form a new government, describing her as “hard-working, [with] professional and personal qualities”.

Iconic! :yeah: It's amazing to see that even a country as conservative as Serbia can be this open-minded and look past peoples genetics to see them for the leaders they are. I hope she does well!

50 minutes ago, Countess said:

America is shaking tbh, they couldn't even deal with a woman let alone a gay woman... :cackle:

I did some research,

Same-sex marriage constitutionally banned.

Adoption–

In August 2016 Ana Brnabić was elected for Minister of Public Administration and Local State Governments and she is first openly gay minister. In May 2014 Amnesty International identified Serbia as one of a number of countries where there is a marked lack of will to tackle homophobia and transphobia, noting that since 2011 public authorities have banned Pride marches on the basis of violent threats from homophobic groups.[1] Since then a Pride parade successfully took place in September 2014 in Belgrade.[2]

19 hours ago, Third Eye said:

I did some research,

Same-sex marriage constitutionally banned.

Adoption–

In August 2016 Ana Brnabić was elected for Minister of Public Administration and Local State Governments and she is first openly gay minister. In May 2014 Amnesty International identified Serbia as one of a number of countries where there is a marked lack of will to tackle homophobia and transphobia, noting that since 2011 public authorities have banned Pride marches on the basis of violent threats from homophobic groups.[1] Since then a Pride parade successfully took place in September 2014 in Belgrade.[2]

The more you look into it the more amazing it is that she got elected at all! I looked at the Wikipedia article as well, it's so crazy to see how homosexuality was illegal one year and then legal the next...I never realised what a hot topic it was throughout all these centuries. Either way I hope she does a good job and doesn't get abused too much for her sexuality or gender. :'(

• YAAASSS 1

1 hour ago, Countess said:

The more you look into it the more amazing it is that she got elected at all! I looked at the Wikipedia article as well, it's so crazy to see how homosexuality was illegal one year and then legal the next...I never realised what a hot topic it was throughout all these centuries. Either way I hope she does a good job and doesn't get abused too much for her sexuality or gender. :'(

I think Serbians only care about Kosovo right now they are too busy to care about her sexuality as long as she stop their independence omfg :wut:

On 6/17/2017 at 4:46 PM, Third Eye said:

I think Serbians only care about Kosovo right now they are too busy to care about her sexuality as long as she stop their independence omfg :wut:

I don't know why they care so much about Kosovo breaking free...If they want to be their own country just let them, then Kosovo can hire their own gay prime minister too. :cackle: 

• YAAASSS 1

40 minutes ago, Countess said:

I don't know why they care so much about Kosovo breaking free...If they want to be their own country just let them, then Kosovo can hire their own gay prime minister too. :cackle: 

Hopefully they will debut next year in Eurovision and I will bop to them :bop: