Phoenix, Arizona Starting LGBTQ Only School

Main Pop Girl

lgbtq_graphicfb.png 

The Queer Blended Learning Center is a "micro-school" which plans to open its doors in August. Traditional classes such as math and reading will be taught alongside LGBTQ+ history and social studies. The school will be housed at the Phoenix headquarters of LGBTQ+ youth charity, one•n•ten.

Leaders of the school programme said it will be life-saving for queer children in the face of growing anti-LGBTQ+ legislation in the US – more than 570 such bills have been introduced in America so far this year, according to the Human Rights Campaign. 

Nate Rhoton, the chief executive of one•n•ten, went on to say: “We have 6th, 7th and 8th graders who could benefit from a safe space to be able to have exceptional education while also having education that pertains to their own identity.

Am I the only one who hates this idea? :awkwardney: I don't even like gender segregated schools so why should we be creating schools only for queer people? This is just adding to the divisiveness that's already growing in our society, and it won't be setting people up to live in the real world where adults are expected to interact with people of all genders, orientations, and identities.

What do y'all think? Am I missing something here?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...