[deleted]

thetaco

Thank you for putting so much time into this, it's excellent! I love physical media but one thing I don't miss is how tedious it was/is to collect these random B-sides and bonus tracks. Glad that doesn't happen as often nowadays with global streaming, but it's a shame that so many older releases are stuck in regional limbo.

Edited by Kipper

11 hours ago, Kipper said:

Thank you for putting so much time into this, it's excellent! I love physical media but one thing I don't miss is how tedious it was/is to collect these random B-sides and bonus tracks. Glad that doesn't happen as often nowadays with global streaming, but it's a shame that so many older releases are stuck in regional limbo.

yeah it’s so tedious, i love pop music so much and when i hear about out of region bonus tracks for my favorite artists it makes me upset honestly 😂 i’m glad artists don’t do that anymore. the way some of these old pre-digital albums have like 13 versions with slightly different track listings/bonus tracks drives me crazy enough

E2470230-5914-454B-B971-CCD65158DBAD.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thetaco said:

i’m glad artists don’t do that anymore

no they very much still do that x

2 hours ago, thetaco said:

E2470230-5914-454B-B971-CCD65158DBAD.png

it took me upwards of 30 minutes to figure out how to fix the Spirit tracklist 💀

Spoiler
  1. Bleeding Love
  2. Whatever it Takes
  3. Homeless
  4. Better in Time
  5. Yesterday
  6. Take a Bow
  7. I Will Be
  8. Angel
  9. Here I am
  10. I'm You
  11. Forgive Me
  12. Misses Glass
  13. Footprints in the Sand
  14. Forgiveness
  15. You Bring Me Down
  16. The Best You Never Had
  17. Run
  18. A Moment Like This
  19. Myself ft Novel
  20. The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
  21. Homeless - 2008 Version (is there really any diff here?)

all the single mix versions are in their separate singles albums.

On 9/21/2022 at 6:37 PM, arthurmondragon said:

What is the direct link for that Dignity thing by Hilary Duff?

I was talking about how Hilary Duff has specific remixes including for Dignity only available internationally, they are actually all listed under the label angel in spotify. What this means is Hollywood records partnered with the record label angel to release their songs outside of the United States during this time. And since the record label even says Angel on spotify it means that they reliquenshed the rights of the album to the international label for a flat fee of what they think the albums would make in total in those countries. Instead of getting paid for each release individually in the new country. They did this at a time where physical cds were primary though so I guess the digital rights were just included along with them. So they could just reupload digitally whatever they had gotten from Hollywood.

Once the rights expire for the album international licensing though (and not renewed) which usually happens between 15-20 years after the album’s release or contract termination, the rights to these releases will either return to hollywood or the international releases will become defunct. So the specific remixes might not ever come to streaming, it might also be because Angel made the remixes themselves but I doubt it specifically for Hilary because Hollywood usually uses the same artists for their remixes. Dave Aude, Bimbo Jones, Chris Cox. But since these remixes are only available internationally they might be taken down at some point since Hollywood Records already has an album version of Dignity available in the United States and everywhere, so why would they buy a new license for an international version for just one remix when they already have a version. And the international version might be region locked outside of the United States so they would still have to license a u.s. version of the album alongside the international one so they might just drop it and only keep the release of the u.s. version and release it worldwide.

404061FD-54A6-4B06-B02E-3BE069757340-min.jpeg

1F60DF0D-B9C3-486D-B4E6-93D3A808FD39-min.jpeg

Edited by thetaco

10 hours ago, lalisa said:

well on this list i wrote songs that are on streaming in other regions and the region locking status. but the spanish version of ghost of you isn’t on streaming at all, it’s not region locked because there’s no region to lock, that’s why i didn’t include it. but just if you’re curious if it was to ever come on streaming, hollywood records would have to make a new digital release with a new copyright for an album edition including that song and any other songs they wanted to include and include it with no region lock, they couldn’t expand an already existing release’s country for this song yet like they can for some albums, because there isn’t one available - digitally. the region locking licensing is also tied to the individual tracks in copyright too, but the target united states/asda uk store exclusivity-license could’ve expired by now and it could be releaseable. even physical special releases have to have a completely new digital edition of the album made if they wanted to rerelease an edition compiling old bonus tracks. that’s why the deluxe expanded edition of emotion by carly rae jepsen says it was published in 2015, but the copyright says it’s a 2020 release. because the target edition was never released with a digital edition until 2020. it says the same for the lizzie mcguire movie soundtrack since it was never released digitally until 2021, but the publishing says 2003 release.

a good amount of several releases from the 2000s already could’ve had a bonus track rerelease edition for the album from the label after the “international/walmart/specific region deal expired” but most labels don’t care enough about rereleasing bonus tracks that might not get that many streams anyway to pay for the digital album’s new edition’s copyright, especially if the old one’s copyright just got renewed recently because it’s only valid for a certain amount of years and the album’s digital licensing could be any possible year and it might be an autorenew type deal. the label might not release a new digital edition because the songs might not get enough money earned on streaming to offset the cost of copyright. but if an albums digital licensing expires and they would have to repay for new licensing they “could” let the old release become deprecated and release a new expanded edition. but most labels find it simpler to just pay to renew the old licensing fee for the previous release since they’d have to spend a significant amount of time compiling the new album release and renewing a legality license for the individual bonus tracks on song copyright databases and making sure they have no region locking tied to them to add it streaming.

also a lot of the time when a licensing fee gets renewed it can bring the album to more regions then it had before. sometimes labels even let an albums licensing fee expire if the songs don’t make enough money on streaming. so yeah, ghost of you spanish version might not ever come to streaming because there might not be enough bonus tracks on when the sun goes down for hollywood records to  want to purchase a new digital copyright license for. maybe selena gomez could make an expanded edition once she gets the masters of all of her songs, since she doesn’t need to worry about funding a record label with the streaming payout and she probably has the money to spare and wouldn’t see it as a loss. but that’ll be 35 years from the album ’s release to get her masters so… 2046 :(

Edited by thetaco
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, thetaco said:

well on this list i wrote songs that are on streaming in other regions and the region locking status. but the spanish version of ghost of you isn’t on streaming at all, it’s not region locked because there’s no region to lock, that’s why i didn’t include it. but just if you’re curious if it was to ever come on streaming, hollywood records would have to make a new digital release with a new copyright for an album edition including that song and any other songs they wanted to include and include it with no region lock, they couldn’t expand an already existing release’s country for this song yet like they can for some albums, because there isn’t one available - digitally. the region locking licensing is also tied to the individual tracks in copyright too, but the target united states/asda uk store exclusivity-license could’ve expired by now and it could be releaseable. even physical special releases have to have a completely new digital edition of the album made if they wanted to rerelease an edition compiling old bonus tracks. that’s why the deluxe expanded edition of emotion by carly rae jepsen says it was published in 2015, but the copyright says it’s a 2020 release. because the target edition was never released with a digital edition until 2020. it says the same for the lizzie mcguire movie soundtrack since it was never released digitally until 2021, but the publishing says 2003 release.

a good amount of several releases from the 2000s already could’ve had a bonus track rerelease edition for the album from the label after the “international/walmart/specific region deal expired” but most labels don’t care enough about rereleasing bonus tracks that might not get that many streams anyway to pay for the digital album’s new edition’s copyright, especially if the old one’s copyright just got renewed recently because it’s only valid for a certain amount of years and the album’s digital licensing could be any possible year and it might be an autorenew type deal. the label might not release a new digital edition because the songs might not get enough money earned on streaming to offset the cost of copyright. but if an albums digital licensing expires and they would have to repay for new licensing they “could” let the old release become deprecated and release a new expanded edition. but most labels find it simpler to just pay to renew the old licensing fee for the previous release since they’d have to spend a significant amount of time compiling the new album release and renewing a legality license for the individual bonus tracks on song copyright databases and making sure they have no region locking tied to them to add it streaming.

also a lot of the time when a licensing fee gets renewed it can bring the album to more regions then it had before. sometimes labels even let an albums licensing fee expire if the songs don’t make enough money on streaming. so yeah, ghost of you spanish version might not ever come to streaming because there might not be enough bonus tracks on when the sun goes down for hollywood records to  want to purchase a new digital copyright license for. maybe selena gomez could make an expanded edition once she gets the masters of all of her songs, since she doesn’t need to worry about funding a record label with the streaming payout and she probably has the money to spare and wouldn’t see it as a loss. but that’ll be 35 years from the album ’s release to get her masters so… 2046 :(

WOOOOOW this was super interesting to read! They somehow got the rights for Lover In Me and I Like It That Way that were target exclusives too.

Do you think they can't just include the track on the already released version of the album?  And just curious, a label could re-release an old album without her consent and add some unreleased songs as bonus tracks? for example last year they released a compilation album of her singles and biggest album tracks.

Idk Selena partially owns her masters before Rare and that only includes Revival and some of the songs that were purchased by Interscope (Come & Get It, Slow Down , The heart wants what it wants, love you like a love song, naturally, who says & A Year Without Rain (Plus spanish version )) . They somehow released Un Año Sin lluvia that was a exclusive in the US for streaming worldwide last year when she released Revelación 

Edited by lalisa

1 hour ago, lalisa said:

WOOOOOW this was super interesting to read! They somehow got the rights for Lover In Me and I Like It That Way that were target exclusives too.

Do you think they can't just include the track on the already released version of the album?  And just curious, a label could re-release an old album without her consent and add some unreleased songs as bonus tracks? for example last year they released a compilation album of her singles and biggest album tracks.

Idk Selena partially owns her masters before Rare and that only includes Revival and some of the songs that were purchased by Interscope (Come & Get It, Slow Down , The heart wants what it wants, love you like a love song, naturally, who says & A Year Without Rain (Plus spanish version )) . They somehow released Un Año Sin lluvia that was a exclusive in the US for streaming worldwide last year when she released Revelación 

Lover in Me and I Like It That Way are available i’m guessing because they didn’t license the songs exclusively to Target, they licensed it exclusively to Target for its use in the United States I’m pretty sure.  So that’s why they could release the Slow Down EP digitally everywhere else. And if the licensing to Target in the United States expired already they could theoretically have released the songs there already, but they’d have to make a new digital release of Stars Dance with it or a new digital release of the Slow Down EP that has no region lock, unlike the current one. Or they could possibly even pay to break the region lock of the Slow Down EP but it might be expensive, or not worth it to the label or the contract license of the EP might not allow it. It might be written similar to this in the album paperwork “The Slow Down extended play by Selena Gomez, is to be released in the United Kingdom, Latin America, New Zealand, and ….” and that defines where it can be released, and if the paperwork said “The Slow Down extended play by Selena Gomez, is to be released anywhere it’s licensed except the United States and Canada” it could be released anywhere the label pays for it to be released except United States and Canada.

And about your former question, I think it depends on the artists contract whether the artist has to have final approval before any new releases come out with their material, especially if they’re no longer a part of that label. Also I don’t think Selena owns her masters for anything before Rare or Revival, and since Revival and Rare still are listed under Interscope copyright she might just own a publishing license, her writing credits for those albums since she didn’t primarily write before those releases, or she might just be set to own her masters eventually but Interscope still owns them for now. But anyway, about the unreleased songs / releasing editions of albums, Hollywood Records or one of the main labels that own every other label (Universal, Warner, or Sony), in this case Universal could theoretically release one of her songs as part of a major compilation like what happened with her song Cologne, which is now available in the United States and other areas as part of a Universal Records digital streaming compilation titled Call for Rain on spotify, amazon music, and some other services. (But it doesn’t mean that they can release a new album or album edition under Selena’s name, they might just able to include already released songs from Selena in their label compilations, that might be a clause included in her contract or a music industry established rule). But it really depends on the artists contract whether it’s legal for record labels to release new rereleases or songs without their approval. So Taylor Swift probably had a contract that didn’t say she had to have final approval of all releases which is why some of her live performances, remixes and “Big Machine Radio Specials” came out after she left that she didn’t necessarily approve of, but it probably had a clause that they couldn’t release unreleased songs or demos that they had recorded, without her approval of release otherwise Big Machine could’ve released the same songs (the original version) that Taylor included for the first time in Taylor’s Version albums in a special edition of the standard albums they own from her. But i’m guessing they didn’t have the right to release them, or that they could have released some songs without her approval when they owned her masters but it wasn’t included in the contracts when Scooter Braun bought them, that he could access her former files to release. He probably exclusively bought the released material’s licenses with no access to anything unreleased. Hope that clears some things up

Edited by thetaco
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Leaving said:

So weird there's still music that doesn't appear on certain services or in certain countries! I wanted to listen to Painted Windows by PCD the other day and had to stream it on YouTube because it doesn't seem to be on any streaming service :yeah: 

Thanks for compiling this list for us!

sure! i hope it helps someone out if they’re wondering about why some songs aren’t in certain regions. i hope all these songs will be available in every region someday! and maybe even bonus tracks from walmart/target/etc. that were never released on streaming.

• thetaco changed the title to [deleted]