Hunt for Next James Bond Will Begin Next Year, Says Producer Barbara Broccoli

No-Time-To-Die.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

007 producer Barbara Broccoli has said she will not begin thinking about who will replace Daniel Craig as the next James Bond until 2022.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Today program, Broccoli joked that she was “in denial” about Craig leaving after his five-film stint.

“We want Daniel to have his time of celebration,” She added. “Next year we’ll start thinking about the future.”

Appearing alongside Broccoli on the program, fellow Eon producer Michael G. Wilson added that Craig was leaving some “big shoes to fill”.

Broccoli recalled how Craig had been reluctant to take on the role prior to being cast. “He knew it would change his life, which it obviously has,” she said, going on to praise what the actor had brought to the character. “He enabled us to explore the emotional life of Bond, to go deeply into the personal, complexity of the character.”

Asked about Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s role in writing the film, Wilson added that she had made a “major contribution.”

“She gave us an interesting point-of-view for several of the characters. It’s unfair to think of her as a female writer… she contributed to the whole plot of the film,” he added.

Speaking in a separate interview over the weekend, Broccoli also addressed the future of the franchise with Amazon’s pending MGM acquisition.

x

I haven't seen the film yet, but it still seems like they may be building up to having the black female (Lashana Lynch or something?) as the first non white dude James Bond. Honestly, I don't think there's too many actors out there who would nail the James Bond role anyway, so at this point they might as well just give it to someone totally different and see what they do with it.

3 hours ago, Skinny Legend said:

I haven't seen the film yet, but it still seems like they may be building up to having the black female (Lashana Lynch or something?) as the first non white dude James Bond. Honestly, I don't think there's too many actors out there who would nail the James Bond role anyway, so at this point they might as well just give it to someone totally different and see what they do with it.

From what I've felt and seen, I do think Lashana Lynch would be an excellent successor for Daniel Craig. I feel like TPTB try too hard to find the next Sean Connery or Roger Moore, and they should really look outside of the box, and Lynch is perfect. Plus, I feel like Craig's Bond is going to be the first to die. Don't ask me why.

On 9/29/2021 at 12:57 AM, Heartbreak Anthem said:

From what I've felt and seen, I do think Lashana Lynch would be an excellent successor for Daniel Craig. I feel like TPTB try too hard to find the next Sean Connery or Roger Moore, and they should really look outside of the box, and Lynch is perfect. Plus, I feel like Craig's Bond is going to be the first to die. Don't ask me why.

Personally, I preferred the old era of Sean, Roger and Pierce because everything was a little more self-referential and silly back then. Nowadays James is very serious and rugged which pretty much just makes him the same as any other action star out there. I'd love for them to find a way to bring the comedy and light-heartedness back to the series so anyone they can get to do that would be great for me :cackle:

I remember there was originally a different director for No Time To Die who got replaced before filming started. The rumour at the time was that the old director wanted to kill Bond which is why they replaced him with Cary whatever his name is. So I wouldn't be surprised if you're right!