Disney Launches Onyx Collective for Creators of Color, Underrepresented Creatives

Tara-Duncan.png?w=681&h=383&crop=1

Disney is unveiling a new content brand dedicated to the work of creators of color and underrepresented creatives.

Led by Freeform president Tara Duncan, the new brand — called Onyx Collective — will showcase and debut titles from these creators primarily on Hulu, though other Disney platforms may host offerings from the brand’s voices. Some Onyx Collective titles will be distributed internationally on Disney+ through the company’s Star brand. The first Onyx Collective title? Questlove’s Summer of Soul (…or, When the Revolution Could Not be Televised), purchased by Fox Searchlight and Hulu in February for a record sum for a Sundance-premiering documentary, per Hollywood Reporter sources.

x

6 hours ago, Skinny Legend said:

Doesn't really seem necessary to me given how diverse their more recent films have been, but whatever makes them happy! :sassy:

I don't think it's exclusive to films. I think it is extending into television. I think it's an awesome platform that'll really do some great things.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 10:46 PM, Ruthless Love said:

I don't think it's exclusive to films. I think it is extending into television. I think it's an awesome platform that'll really do some great things.

Idk...All I want from their TV department is just to get their shit together and move Lizzie McGuire to Hulu, but beggars can't be choosers I guess :awkwardney:

10 hours ago, Skinny Legend said:

Idk...All I want from their TV department is just to get their shit together and move Lizzie McGuire to Hulu, but beggars can't be choosers I guess :awkwardney:

Considering Hilary Duff has already signed onto other projects I doubt it'll happen at this point. Even she said it's done for the time being.