Disney Announces Star Wars, High School Musical & Monsters Inc. TV Shows

Main Pop Girl

starwars55df5d9452181_-_embed_2017.jpg

Star Wars is getting the TV treatment with a forthcoming live-action series set to debut on Disney's digital streaming service. The still-untitled service is set to launch in 2019.

While this will mark the first live-action Star Wars TV series, George Lucas' franchise has spawned five animated series, going all the way back to 1985's Star Wars: Droids, which aired on ABC (long before ABC and LucasFilm were under the same corporate umbrella), as did the second series, Star Wars: Ewoks. The most recent animated entry, Star Wars Rebels, airs on Disney XD, a sister network of Disney Channel. Next up is Star Wars: Force of Destiny, which will debut on YouTube. Both Rebels and Forces of Destiny are produced by LucasFilm Animation.

Additionally, Iger revealed that new TV series based on the 2001 Pixar film Monsters Inc. (which also spawned the 2013 sequel Monsters University) and the Disney Channel film franchise High School Musical also will debut on the service.

Monsters Inc. most recently spawned a short film, Party Central, that was released theatrically in 2014 with Muppets Most Wanted. Disney Channel's High School Musical, meanwhile, jump-started the careers of Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens and Ashley Tisdale, among others, and led to two sequels, the second of which, High School Musical 3, was released in theaters. In 2016, Disney Channel announced it was developing a fourth film that would serve as somewhat of a reboot. However, it has not yet premiered and it is unclear if the High School Musical series would take its place.

Not too sure about this news right now...The last two Star Wars movies have been brilliant but I kind of feel like with the trilogy, a new trilogy, the spin-off films and now a TV show it will be overkill. The Monsters Inc. series will probably be good for little kids, although I'm weirdly excited for the HSM series, even though I never liked the movies when I was younger... :stretcher: I just hope Sharpay makes a glorious return as the high school drama teacher!

11 hours ago, Countess said:

How have I never even heard of this series before? :orly: Although I get the feeling it wouldn't be the same without the iconic Debbie Reynolds!

Debbie was barely in that piss-poor exclusive of a fourth film, which we should never discuss. I know KJB did an interview in which she was asked if she'd be up for being the new matriarch of the Piper/Cromwell family, and the film following her own children's lives in Halloweentown.

I have a feeling that the Monsters Inc show will do well.... but HSM tv show? Bahahah. This is gonna flop horribly. Even if they bring in Ashley Tisdale and Lucas Grabeel (whom I imagine are the only actors that would sign up for it).

Also, totally here for a Halloweentown show with Kimberly starring. But I don't want it all cheery and happy like Disney's new stuff. Like I want some actual personalities and not these weird artificial children that seem like they were cloned in a lab or something.

On 21/11/2017 at 2:45 AM, Ruthless Love said:

Debbie was barely in that piss-poor exclusive of a fourth film, which we should never discuss. I know KJB did an interview in which she was asked if she'd be up for being the new matriarch of the Piper/Cromwell family, and the film following her own children's lives in Halloweentown.

That would be the logical next step I guess! Maybe get Billie Lourd in there somewhere just to continue the bloodline. ;)

On 25/11/2017 at 4:27 PM, Joe said:

I have a feeling that the Monsters Inc show will do well.... but HSM tv show? Bahahah. This is gonna flop horribly. Even if they bring in Ashley Tisdale and Lucas Grabeel (whom I imagine are the only actors that would sign up for it).

Also, totally here for a Halloweentown show with Kimberly starring. But I don't want it all cheery and happy like Disney's new stuff. Like I want some actual personalities and not these weird artificial children that seem like they were cloned in a lab or something.

:cackle: Tbh I doubt they'll get any of the original actors for HSM, they'll probably get a brand new cast and market it as High School Musical: The New Generation or something like that. :idkher: Although if we're lucky we might get cameos from Ashley and Lucas as the drama teachers or something!