Utada Hikaru's Mother, Fuji Keiko, Commits Suicide

Main Pop Girl

Singer Keiko Fuji, the mother of singer Hikaru Utada, on Thursday plunged from a Tokyo condominium building to her death in an apparent suicide, police said. She was 62.

Fuji was found lying on a street bleeding in front of the building in the Shinjuku district at around 7 a.m.

She was taken to a hospital in a state of cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead soon afterward.

Fuji is believed to have jumped from the 13th-floor balcony of the residence of a male acquaintance in his 30s. The man told police that he did not know Fuji had fallen from the building because he was sleeping, sources said.

The building, about 1 km northwest of JR Shinjuku Station, is in an area hosting a number of office buildings, high-rise condominium complexes and the Tokyo Metropolitan Government office.

Fuji made her debut as a singer in 1969 and retired in 1979, moving to the United States. Since then, she has been little seen in public.

She married music producer Teruzane Utada in 1982 and gave birth to her daughter, Hikaru, in 1983.

On Monday the 26th, Hikaru and Teruzane posted statements on Hikki's Website in the messages section.

The following is a translation of Hikaru's message by 'a_kikoo':

This is so so sad! :'( I'm not sure if anyone checks for Utada but I thought I'd post this her just in case anyone does.

If you didn't know, Fuji was also a singer. Here's my favourite song from her:

Fuji Keiko - Shinjuku no Onna

RIP. <3