PHF Community Thread, Come Say Howdie Doody - y’all!

Poison ivy

I figure that as the chat on the “Latest Leaks” thread sometimes spills (organically) into more generalised discussions on artists, pop culture (and sometimes even life itself) - that I would create this thread to in part keep the “Latest Leaks” thread within the purview of its intended purpose and to here give space and voice to any ‘overspill’ chat on the above topics (or even provide a healing meditative space to members of our community who are maybe going through a tough time and could perhaps use some empathy from other members of the community who may have grappled with and successfully overcame  what another member is struggling with in the present).

we’re all ‘out there’ and we know that gay scene politics can sometimes cross the line into passive aggressive ‘cray cray’ at times, if that’s how your feeling right now and you need to unwind and smoke a doobie then saddle up, pitch your tent, jump on board, because who knows where this crazy ride into experimentation, either will (or won’t take us).

Are you gonna look back in 10 years time and think “why the fuck did I post that in 2024 when I was shit-faced at 4 am, with mascara running down my face and I was multi-tasking by almost choking on my own vomit” (.. yet somehow still managed to pull the whole post off in such a classy way)!

I would like to break the ice and open the discussion with my take on the sibling relationship between the Minogue sisters  and what that means for Pop Culture as we get thrillingly close to the next quarter portion of this century we call the 21st.

Okay, here goes.. 

Spoiler

Unpopular Opinion!

I have always found Dannii to be the poor man’s lesbian (without actually being a lesbian), when I was .. little, I heard of a popular Australian talent show called “Young Talent Time” where the then imagined high priestess of future pop royalty was given a platform to perform (i.e. lip sync to her covers of Madonna songs) with a more expressive vocal range than her (not yet famous) older sister who she would on occasion sometimes wheel out to perform duets with.

The world appeared at Danielle’s (as she was then known) feet, the Australian public loved her and tuned in, weekly in their millions to hear her belt out Pop tunes of that time.

Yet, something went wrong along the way when Danielle’s older sister got hired for an (at first) little known, Soap Opera called “Neighbours”, which unexpectedly got sold internationally and went on to then achieve a cult status in the world (outside the U.S.), and unexpectedly propelled Danielle’s older sister to fame.

Destiny it seemed had a trick up its sleeve - and revealed that Danielle was not in fact destined to be the high priestess of Pop (it was in fact her older sister), who at first had spent a bit longer in the shadows with a lesser public profile.

How could Dannii feel anything other than cheated? Yet somehow, she has always kept her smile planted firmly in her face - and to the world at large, her relationship with her older sister has always seemed close.

Is it real?

Edited by Dax Diameter
Update
  • Like 2

• Poison ivy changed the title to PHF Community Thread, Come Say Howdie Doody y’all!

I'm honestly not as well-educated in the Minogue-verse as I should be, but taking your word that Dannii has a more expressive vocal range, it wouldn't surprise me if she was more vocally capable/talented despite being less known. Popularity works in confusing ways. Something I never really understood was, when pop music is like, mathematically designed to be as "listenable" as possible, wouldn't you expect the people with the "best" voices to be most popular? But it doesn't seem to be the case.

For example, which of these is a more talented vocalist, Adam Lambert or Ed Sheeran? Or to phrase it differently, which of those two got picked to succeed Freddie Mercury? But yet, which one do you have to listen to whine about his geometry fetish every time you go to Target?

I guess my point is that 'generic' sells better, because maybe familiarity/safety is a stronger ingredient in earworm science, at least psychologically speaking? idk. Maybe Kylie had an easier time with her music career because people already knew who she was? Not to say she's generic or anything, it's not always down to that. For every Kardashian you have a Scarlett Johansson. Maybe a certain extent is just luck?

Well this doesn't really weigh in on your specific question much - Mainly, I just wanted a reason to join this thread :P I think it's an amazing idea! Too many people visit this forum just to steal download links and run. We need more pop-philosophizing around here!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kipper said:

I'm honestly not as well-educated in the Minogue-verse as I should be, but taking your word that Dannii has a more expressive vocal range, it wouldn't surprise me if she was more vocally capable/talented despite being less known. Popularity works in confusing ways. Something I never really understood was, when pop music is like, mathematically designed to be as "listenable" as possible, wouldn't you expect the people with the "best" voices to be most popular? But it doesn't seem to be the case.

For example, which of these is a more talented vocalist, Adam Lambert or Ed Sheeran? Or to phrase it differently, which of those two got picked to succeed Freddie Mercury? But yet, which one do you have to listen to whine about his geometry fetish every time you go to Target?

I guess my point is that 'generic' sells better, because maybe familiarity/safety is a stronger ingredient in earworm science, at least psychologically speaking? idk. Maybe Kylie had an easier time with her music career because people already knew who she was? Not to say she's generic or anything, it's not always down to that. For every Kardashian you have a Scarlett Johansson. Maybe a certain extent is just luck?

Well this doesn't really weigh in on your specific question much - Mainly, I just wanted a reason to join this thread :P I think it's an amazing idea! Too many people visit this forum just to steal download links and run. We need more pop-philosophizing around here!

You know, I think you could very well have a point regarding more ‘generic’ artists. (Particularly when it comes to Ed Sheeran). I have never understood his popularity personally (maybe it’s the gay in me and I just don’t go for what he is giving in his music).

That said, there have been times when I have looked on with stunned amazement that he appears to have such impact on others. I honestly can’t think of a single song of his I’ve ever liked (same as Coldplay for that matter), another popular band that I never could stand.

How do you feel about the new Kesha material? I know a lot of people prefer her original sound.

Edited by Dax Diameter
Update
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tajd said:

Hello to @Dax Diameter & @Kipper I bet your both enjoying the mass Kylie leak. 

I’m not complaining. New Kylie is always welcome (regardless of whatever style she’s digging into in whatever era).

I hope you are having some luck with Steps though, I sometimes notice you post about them.

I do remember hearing once that Warner’s tried to talk  H & Claire into recording “You’re The One That I Want” (from ‘Grease’), which would no doubt have been embarrassing for Claire - as H was of course still in the closet at the time and everyone knew it (no-one more so than Claire).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dax Diameter said:

I’m not complaining. New Kylie is always welcome (regardless of whatever style she’s digging into in whatever era).

I hope you are having some luck with Steps though, I sometimes notice you post about them.

Thank you Dax 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 2:38 PM, Dax Diameter said:

You know, I think you could very well have a point regarding more ‘generic’ artists. (Particularly when it comes to Ed Sheeran). I have never understood his popularity personally (maybe it’s the gay in me and I just don’t go for what he is giving in his music).

That said, there have been times when I have looked on with stunned amazement that he appears to have such impact on others. I honestly can’t think of a single song of his I’ve ever liked (same as Coldplay for that matter), another popular band that I never could stand.

How do you feel about the new Kesha material? I know a lot of people prefer her original sound.

Yeah, nothing against Ed personally I guess but I really don't get the hype. Same for Coldplay, Maroon 5, Imagine Dragons and all those same-y radio-rock groups - They all followed the same pattern of  1. make great debut album  2. Ride off its success with bland, effortless nonsense until the end of time. "Believer" is genuinely one of my most hated songs ever because it just. never. goes away 💀

I finally listened to Kesha's new singles and clearly should not have put them off! "Fine Line" is just beautiful and "Eat the Acid" feels like only a teaser of what's to come on Gag Order. She brings a lot to the table and I'm all for her artistic evolution! I hope she doesnt hold back against Dr. Puke and can take back even a little of everything that he's ruined for her.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kipper said:

I finally listened to Kesha's new singles and clearly should not have put them off! "Fine Line" is just beautiful and "Eat the Acid" feels like only a teaser of what's to come on Gag Order. She brings a lot to the table and I'm all for her artistic evolution! I hope she doesnt hold back against Dr. Puke and can take back even a little of everything that he's ruined for her.

I definitely hear the artistic evolution in her music. Looking at where she is with the music in the present, I now kinda get why the ‘party girl’ image that brought her fame felt so inauthentic to her.  She is clearly destined to become a much loved artist of her generation and a lot of other artists would love to have her monthly listeners on Spotify. I do wonder if she privately feels commercial pressure to concede to the demands of TikTok though.

Listening to some of her newer material kinda makes me want to pad it out and extend the experience by listening to Michelle Branch’s “Hopeless Romantic” album.

Katy Perry definitely feels like an artist in free fall to me. I find it low-key fascinating how her commercial success appears to have deserted her. She was beyond doubt one of the big pop girls of their generation but her appeal now seems in decline.

Despite the money that a major label like Capitol has, combined to the A&R talents of their staff - it seems so crazy to me that nobody picked up on the fact that after the “Teenage Dream” era, Katy’s tunes appear to have fallen away and placed her commercial success in such a state of jeopardy.  I can’t believe that despite the supposed executive talent around her - that situation was even allowed to happen.

There have been rumors of her working on a dance album, do you think that is the right fit for her? or that it could restore her success/ billboard chart positions back to what they once were?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dax Diameter said:

I definitely hear the artistic evolution in her music. Looking at where she is with the music in the present, I now kinda get why the ‘party girl’ image that brought her fame felt so inauthentic to her.  She is clearly destined to become a much loved artist of her generation and a lot of other artists would love to have her monthly listeners on Spotify. I do wonder if she privately feels commercial pressure to concede to the demands of TikTok though.

Listening to some of her newer material kinda makes me want to pad it out and extend the experience by listening to Michelle Branch’s “Hopeless Romantic” album.

Katy Perry definitely feels like an artist in free fall to me. I find it low-key fascinating how her commercial success appears to have deserted her. She was beyond doubt one of the big pop girls of their generation but her appeal now seems in decline.

Despite the money that a major label like Capitol has, combined to the A&R talents of their staff - it seems so crazy to me that nobody picked up on the fact that after the “Teenage Dream” era, Katy’s tunes appear to have fallen away and placed her commercial success in such a state of jeopardy.  I can’t believe that despite the supposed executive talent around her - that situation was even allowed to happen.

There have been rumors of her working on a dance album, do you think that is the right fit for her? or that it could restore her success/ billboard chart positions back to what they once were?

That could be the right move. A Katy comeback is always welcome. Especially if a certain redhead is involved :orly: Would be very, very interested to see what a modern dance-pop hit from those two would look like... if she'll still go for the soaring, upbeat role, I can't say no to that! It has been a while since we've heard from her after all.

• Love 1

I have a mellow side, I totally get that LDR is an acquired taste, and that’s cool. I’m not here to convert anyone. I just want to put this here because never in my life has an unreleased song by ANYONE ever had the level of impact on me that this song is having on me right now.

1 hour ago, Dax Diameter said:

Guys, we are clearly under attack from some kind of spam. Is that shit even human (idk)?

Anyway, if this doesn’t get lost in the sea of airplane crap, i’m sure someone will be online soon who can sort it out.

I hope I got rid of them all!

• Like 3

• Poison ivy changed the title to PHF Community Thread, Come Say Howdie Doody - y’all!
4 minutes ago, Capsule said:

Adopted a cat this past weekend! He's already right at home, doesn't seem stressed at all and very affectionate. Meet Tango!

VwHSH4I.jpg

Aww, lovely creature. I have so much respect and admiration for people who can offer animals a safe and loving, secure environment. This is literally the prefect antidote I needed from graphic images on my Facebook feed for animal charities.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dax Diameter said:

Aww, lovely creature. I have so much respect and admiration for people who can offer animals a safe and loving, secure environment. This is literally the prefect antidote I needed from graphic images on my Facebook feed for animal charities.

I only wish I had the means to adopt more cats! There were so many sweet kitties there, but this little guy really made it clear that we were meant to be family 🥰

• Like 1