Sugababes

Main Pop Girl

On 9/5/2022 at 10:50 PM, Dax Diameter said:

What’s not controversial to say is “Be Kind” was also an Emeli Sande track and was submitted along with “Love Like This”, yet “Be Kind” made it out. Also the album was never at any point ever going to share the same name as the tour. Such a shame nothing ever leaked in lossless.

I wonder what a polished Be Kind would sound like because the Bridge demo that's out there sounds like an early demo. Would love to hear Love Like This as I believe it was planned as first single before Sande took it back and they choose Flatline instead.

9 hours ago, sunshineslave said:

I wonder what a polished Be Kind would sound like because the Bridge demo that's out there sounds like an early demo. Would love to hear Love Like This as I believe it was planned as first single before Sande took it back and they choose Flatline instead.

Yes, word on the street was “Love Like This” was intended to be the first single from the album.  It supposedly demonstrated where the musical DNA of the group unmistakably lay. 

The executive who signed them to Polydor essentially left Polydor three quarters of the way through production of the album (having been offered more attractive employment terms elsewhere).  It was this same individual who had the creative vision not only for the group (but for the album direction itself). After this individual abruptly left, their replacement had priorities and passion projects of their own (and unfortunately those did not include MKS).

The executive who had been the driving force behind the MKS project had been with Polydor for some time (they were the key driving force behind the signing and launch of Emeli Sande and also instrumental in the development of the marketing strategy that resulted in the sales units generated by her debut album).

That experience transformed her life and she understandably had complete faith in that specific individual, whom (at a certain point in time prior to that individual’s departure) - had liaised with her (taking the role of ‘go-between’ both camps) arranging for her to get on board the MKS project - so when that executive left Polydor (for career advancement), there was no-one with a specific passion for MKS, to take the reigns and direct that project.

You may conclude that cannot be the case as Polydor did such a good job with Girls Aloud (however they had also been signed to Fascination under direction of Peter Lorraine) and MKS never were.

Suffice, with the executive who signed MKS gone - Emeli got cold feet and took the money track back again - thus necessitating additional recording sessions for the group (including Dev Hynes), in order to find a replacement lead track that matched the apparent “Magic” of “Love Like This”.

However, Magic is not something that can typically be created out of simply having a desire to attain it. It requires a certain degree of artistic inspiration and hence “Flatline” was born.  Polydor were not convinced by the merits of “Flatline” (the same Polydor who more recently let go of Jesy Nelson).

With “Love Like This” gone, Polydor then wanted to launch with a different tempo and stylistic shift in the form of “Boys”, but the girls were united in not wanting to launch with it as the first single.

It was only because of united pressure from the girls (who were determined to do things their own way) that Polydor very reluctantly agreed to “Flatline”.

They did not believe “Flatline” was the correct commercial choice and when it flopped, they then put the girls on ice. They were at that point in time interested in chasing ‘artistic integrity’ and dismissive of any other, more commercial options Polydor suggested.

A while later an assistant (supporting a certain popular U.K. dance artist) was supposedly spending a portion of time in the Polydor building - helping that artist with a few things and a while later some leaks happened. Though both circumstances (are in all likelihood) completely unrelated of course.

Edited by Dax Diameter
Syntax
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Dax Diameter said:

Yes, word on the street was “Love Like This” was intended to be the first single from the album.  It supposedly demonstrated where the musical DNA of the group unmistakably lay. 

The executive who signed them to Polydor essentially left Polydor three quarters of the way through production of the album (having been offered more attractive employment terms elsewhere).  It was this same individual who had the creative vision not only for the group (but for the album direction itself). After this individual abruptly left, their replacement had priorities and passion projects of their own (and unfortunately those did not include MKS).

The executive who had been the driving force behind the MKS project had been with Polydor for some time (they were the key driving force behind the signing and launch of Emeli Sande and also instrumental in the development of the marketing strategy that resulted in the sales units generated by her debut album).

That experience transformed her life and she understandably had complete faith in that specific individual, whom (at a certain point in time prior to that individual’s departure) - had liaised with her (taking the role of ‘go-between’ both camps) arranging for her to get on board the MKS project - so when that executive left Polydor (for career advancement), there was no-one with a specific passion for MKS, to take the reigns and direct that project.

You may conclude that cannot be the case as Polydor did such a good job with Girls Aloud (however they had also been signed to Fascination under direction of Peter Lorraine) and MKS never were.

Suffice, with the executive who signed MKS gone - Emeli got cold feet and took the money track back again - thus necessitating additional recording sessions for the group (including Dev Hynes), in order to find a replacement lead track that matched the apparent “Magic” of “Love Like This”.

However, Magic is not something that can typically be created out of simply having a desire to attain it. It requires a certain degree of artistic inspiration and hence “Flatline” was born.  Polydor were not convinced by the merits of “Flatline” (the same Polydor who more recently let go of Jesy Nelson).

With “Love Like This” gone, Polydor then wanted to launch with a different tempo and stylistic shift in the form of “Boys”, but the girls were united in not wanting to launch with it as the first single.

It was only because of united pressure from the girls (who were determined to do things their own way) that Polydor very reluctantly agreed to “Flatline”.

They did not believe “Flatline” was the correct commercial choice and when it flopped, they then put the girls on ice. They were at that point in time interested in chasing ‘artistic integrity’ and dismissive of any other, more commercial options Polydor suggested.

A while later an assistant (supporting a certain popular U.K. dance artist) was supposedly spending a portion of time in the Polydor building - helping that artist with a few things and a while later some leaks happened. Though both circumstances (are in all likelihood) completely unrelated of course.

Very interesting insight although very depressing. The girls have hinted at things happening behind the scenes that got to the ending we know. Without this happening, Flatline and I lay Down wouldn't exist so there is a bit of good in this massive fuck up.

I understand why they choose Flatline over Boys. It was a stronger testament and I believe the single would have worked if the label would have backed them up with radio plays, promotion and actual budget for the video. The video is pretty but it's only an exercice in instagram style. I think Boys as second single would have worked then. Summer of 99 and Love in stereo also had potential as pop singles.  

Who knows, the girls won the Sugababes name back so maybe them getting Love Like This back would be possible. After all no one released this song and it hasn't leaked so it still has the potential it had. Right ? I have trouble understanding why retracting her songs from the project helped Sandé. Did she get some money back from doing so ? Or did she intent to sell it to a project with more potential for a hit because it had people investing in it ?

On 9/7/2022 at 1:41 PM, Joyride said:

speaking of the MKS stuff, does anyone still have the og files that leaked originally rather than those shitty m4a re-encodes? i swear they've been wiped from the internet :tanya:

I don't but would love to have them. What we really need is for those song to be properly mixed and mastered and released.

In my head canon the 7th album from the babes is the 14 best songs from the MKS sessions. Sweet 7 ? I don't know her. :idkher:

Edited by sunshineslave

On 9/8/2022 at 2:01 AM, Dax Diameter said:

The Jesy shade has me cackling :cackle: 

Have we actually heard Love Like This? I wasn't able to find it online but I've always found Emeli overrated as a songwriter. Tbh I like it a lot better when the girls (particularly Keisha and Siobhan) write their own material so I'm not at all mad about them giving that track up to make way for Flatline (aka my favourite song from them :hail: )

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leaving said:

Have we actually heard Love Like This? I wasn't able to find it online but I've always found Emeli overrated as a songwriter. Tbh I like it a lot better when the girls (particularly Keisha and Siobhan) write their own material so I'm not at all mad about them giving that track up to make way for Flatline (aka my favourite song from them :hail: )

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2092448/Sugababes-WILL-reform-says-Emeli-Sand-lets-slip-writing-songs-original-line-up.html

We haven’t heard it, though back when the above story broke in 2012, there was a rumour that lyrically it concerned bonds forged in childhood, weather beaten by a storm (as opposed to being about a lover) and it had a gospel choir on it. I recall a random popping up somewhere saying when we hear it “there won’t be a dry eye left in the house”.. and then absolutely nothing until the Emeli “snatch back” story a year later.

6 hours ago, sunshineslave said:

the girls won the Sugababes name back so maybe them getting Love Like This back would be possible. After all no one released this song and it hasn't leaked so it still has the potential it had. Right ? I have trouble understanding why retracting her songs from the project helped Sandé. Did she get some money back from doing so ? Or did she intent to sell it to a project with more potential for a hit because it had people investing in it ?

At one point I got fed up waiting and started asking around, adding how odd it was her version had never appeared on any of her intervening solo albums. 

What piqued my interest was back in 2014, I heard that after she took it back - she re-recorded it with additional vocal embellishments that she never originally envisaged even had the potential to be on it, vocal melisma she had subsequently picked up and learned from the MKS version, so had gone back to the studio with it and given it another crack.

I subsequently anticipated it would make the cut of her second album and was totally mystified when it did not. This re-ignited my curiosity as to what had happened so I started asking around afresh and at that point it was suggested to me it had been ‘bought’ by representatives of a never fully launched artist (who after the purchase) proceeded to get stuck in an artistic development, A&R clash, groundhog day limbo of nightmare proportions.

I enquired further and after a while it was inferred to me the matter had since cooled off a little and the artist in question’s name was Raye and “Love Like This” had at one point been in consideration for a specific iteration of an album she had been working on but never made the final cut when the overall tone of that project headed in an entirely different direction.

Edited by Dax Diameter
Syntax
  • Shook 1

3 hours ago, Leaving said:

The Jesy shade has me cackling :cackle: 

I'm am not a fan of Sandé's work and I generally prefer the songs they write plus Flatline is my fav from them so I totally agree. Still I am curius about that song that reconciliated the label who wanted something commercial and the girl who wanted artistic integrity. Plus I wanna hear the choir. From the article it sounds like she wrote for them and not with them but did we get confirmation that Love Like This is wirtten by her only ?

54 minutes ago, Dax Diameter said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2092448/Sugababes-WILL-reform-says-Emeli-Sand-lets-slip-writing-songs-original-line-up.html

We haven’t heard it, though back when the above story broke in 2012, there was a rumour that lyrically it concerned bonds forged in childhood, weather beaten by a storm (as opposed to being about a lover) and it had a gospel choir on it. I recall a random popping up somewhere saying when we hear it “there won’t be a dry eye left in the house”.. and then absolutely nothing until the Emeli “snatch back” story a year later.

At one point I got fed up waiting and started asking around, adding how odd it was her version had never appeared on any of her intervening solo albums. 

What piqued my interest was back in 2014, I heard that after she took it back - she re-recorded it with additional vocal embellishments that she never originally envisaged even had the potential to be on it, vocal melisma she had subsequently picked up and learned from the MKS version, so had gone back to the studio with it and given it another crack.

I subsequently anticipated it would make the cut of her second album and was totally mystified when it did not. This re-ignited my curiosity as to what had happened so I started asking around afresh and at that point it was suggested to me it had been ‘bought’ by representatives of a never fully launched artist (who after the purchase) proceeded to get stuck in an artistic development, A&R clash, groundhog day limbo of nightmare proportions.

I enquired further and after a while it was inferred to me the matter had since cooled off a little and the artist in question’s name was Raye and “Love Like This” had at one point been in consideration for a specific iteration of an album she had been working on but never made the final cut when the overall tone of that project headed in an entirely different direction.

What a cursed song. I'm curious about those lyrics. 

I'm not surprised that she learned vocal ideas from MKS because they truly are Siren godesses. 

9 hours ago, sunshineslave said:

I'm am not a fan of Sandé's work and I generally prefer the songs they write plus Flatline is my fav from them so I totally agree. Still I am curius about that song that reconciliated the label who wanted something commercial and the girl who wanted artistic integrity. Plus I wanna hear the choir. From the article it sounds like she wrote for them and not with them but did we get confirmation that Love Like This is wirtten by her only ?

I don’t believe for a second she wrote it alone and whilst I suspect Naughty Boy may be a co-writer as she had obviously worked with him previously and he has writing credits on some MKS songs that did leak (including the supposed album title track “No Regrets!”), I don’t automatically assume it to be a foregone conclusion that he (or MNEK) definitely assisted her in penning the track or that it’s even limited to two co-writers.

I would not be surprised if Diane Warren had a hand in penning the track, even though she apparently co-wrote a couple of the tracks that did leak, neither of those appear to share a credit with Sande. However based on what I’ve heard about “Love Like This”, it suggests (at least to me) that it may be in a style most typically associated with past Diane Warren productions.

As time goes on, I do take issue with “Love Like This” not leaving a trail of breadcrumbs in quite the same way “King of London” has (also known to be part of the wider recording sessions), with evidence of it being registered to a publisher.

https://iswcnet.cisac.org

P0rc7Ox.jpg
You may have heard of yet another supposed unreleased/ un-leaked MKS title “You Make It Happen”, but I suspect that one is purely a fan fiction and myth inspired by a similarly titled unreleased Spice Girls (“Spice” era) cast-off titled “We’re Gonna Make It Happen” - though I’m happy to be proven wrong.

Edited by Dax Diameter
Syntax

8 hours ago, Dax Diameter said:

As time goes on, I do take issue with “Love Like This” not leaving a trail of breadcrumbs in quite the same way “King of London” has (also known to be part of the wider recording sessions), with evidence of it being registered to a publisher.

https://iswcnet.cisac.org

P0rc7Ox.jpg
You may have heard of yet another supposed unreleased/ un-leaked MKS title “You Make It Happen”, but I suspect that one is purely a fan fiction and myth inspired by a similarly titled unreleased Spice Girls (“Spice” era) cast-off titled “We’re Gonna Make It Happen” - though I’m happy to be proven wrong.

It's indeed weird that Love Like This haven't been published, tough I believe that when somethings is secretive like an upcoming single they find a way to hide it on the publisher's public catalogue until it's at least annonced.

I've not heard of Kinf of London before. Do we have any other info than what's given on this publisher screenshot ? 

I've not heard of You Make It Happen either, but I definitely know Spice Girls/Touch's We're Gonna Make It Happen. I think Geri is the only one who's not "ashamed" of it these days. I think it was last mentioned in that interview😅

Edited by sunshineslave

1 hour ago, sunshineslave said:

It's indeed weird that Love Like This haven't been published, tough I believe that when somethings is secretive like an upcoming single they find a way to hide it on the publisher's public catalogue until it's at least annonced.

I've not heard of Kinf of London before. Do we have any other info than what's given on this publisher screenshot ? 

I've not heard of You Make It Happen either, but I definitely know Spice Girls/Touch's We're Gonna Make It Happen. I think Geri is the only one who's not "ashamed" of it these days. I think it was last mentioned in that interview😅

Aside from wiki pages casting a light on the work history (and associated acts), the other writers have worked with in the past.. not much.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Chrisanthou

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Beck_(songwriter)

One of the writers (John Beck) co-wrote this, which was a major No. 1 hit 30 years ago:

And both wrote this, some years later:

Neither track strikes me as being in the same specific genre (the first being soft rock in origin, the later being inflected by old school soul). 

Edited by Dax Diameter
  • Like 1

Oh wow, I'm glad to have found this thread! I'm such a huge fan of the Sugababes and had always been interested in their unreleased material. I started doing research about it and found a lot of leftover tracks from One Touch registered on APRA AMCOS a year ago. Here's a list of what I was able to find that hasn't leaked yet :)

One Touch

• Boys Will Be Boys
  • Date (also known as "Do You Want a Date With Me")
  • Heaven
  • My Life
  • New Generation (also know as "New Generation (Children of The Future)")
  • No Doubt
  • Second Best
  • Stop, Look, Listen
  • Groove Is Going On (I did find this registered with Siobhan's name on there but idk if that was an error or not)

Angels With Dirty Faces

• Don't Wake Up (Miranda Cooper of Xenomania mentioned this in a 2015 podcast interview of Sodajerker, this may have been retooled as "Don't Wait Up" which was released in 2006 by girl group Frank)
  • Great and Secret Show (Was mentioned by a user on Popjustice who allegedly found it on a reel of remixes and and productions by Agent X)
  • I Wanna Dance With Numbers
  • Snake Around My Heart (Demo by Wayne Hector leaked online)
  • The Only One
  • The Word (Mentioned in a 2002 press release for "Angels" but I believe this could be a Heidi mix for All Around The World)

Three

• Again and Again
  • Bodyrockin'
  • First Love
  • Let's Go Crazy
  • Liberation
  • Money Money
  • Whisper (A user on an old Sugababes forum said Heidi performed it on the promotional tour for Three)
  • Xpress

Taller In More Ways

• Dead Man Walking
  • Have You Ever
  • Heatwave (Mentioned in a December 2005 MTV Trax article as a B-side to Red Dress prior to Mutya's departure)
  • Jason's Eyes
  • Lustful Dancefloor (Mentioned in a December 2005 MTV Trax article as a B-Side to Red Dress)
  • Never Gonna Dance Again (Mutya Mix)
  • Schitzophernia
  • Strung Out (It's been said to have been recorded by 2.0 for Taller and re-recorded with Amelle for the re-release)
  • Time Is a Healer

Change

• Black Glasses (Rumored B-side for the Change single)
  • Keep Sane (Rumor)
  • Pussycats (Rumor)
  • Time (Rumored B-side for the Change single)
  • Underwater (Rumored B-side for the Denial single)
  • Unknown track produced by JC Chazez (Mentioned in The Daily Star in February of 2007)

Catfights & Spotlights

• Everybody Nose [N.E.R.D. Cover] (Mentioned in The Guardian in October of 2008)

4.0 2011 sessions

• Hard (The proposed 2nd single after Freedom)
  • Tetris
  • Split Personality
  • Wrong Again
Edited by metalsnake25
Updated the list
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, metalsnake25 said:

Oh wow, I'm glad to have found this thread! I'm such a huge fan of the Sugababes and had always been interested in their unreleased material. I started doing research about it and found a lot of leftover tracks from One Touch registered on APRA AMCOS a year ago. Here's a list of what I was able to find that hasn't leaked yet :)

One Touch

• Boys Will Be Boys
  • Heaven
  • My Life
  • No Doubt
  • Second Best
  • Stop, Look, Listen
  • Groove Is Going On (I did find this registered with Siobhan's name on there but idk if that was an error or not)

Angels With Dirty Faces

• Don't Wake Up (Miranda Cooper of Xenomania mentioned this in a 2015 podcast interview of Sodajerker, this may have been retooled as "Don't Wait Up" which was released in 2006 by girl group Frank)
  • Great and Secret Show (Was mentioned by a user on Popjustice who allegedly found it on a reel of remixes and and productions by Agent X)
  • The Only One
  • The Word (Mentioned in a 2002 press release for "Angels" but I believe this could be a Heidi mix for All Around The World)

Three

• Again and Again
  • Bodyrockin'
  • First Love
  • Let's Go Crazy
  • Liberation
  • Money Money
  • Whisper (A user on an old Sugababes forum said Heidi performed it on the promotional tour for Three)
  • Xpress

Taller In More Ways

• Dead Man Walking
  • Have You Ever
  • Heatwave (Mentioned in a December 2005 MTV Trax article as a B-side to Red Dress prior to Mutya's departure)
  • Jason's Eyes
  • Lustful Dancefloor (Mentioned in a December 2005 MTV Trax article as a B-Side to Red Dress)
  • Schitzophernia
  • Strung Out (It's been said to have been recorded by 2.0 for Taller and re-recorded with Amelle for the re-release)
  • Time Is a Healer

Change

• Keep Sane (Rumor)
  • Pussycats (Rumor)
  • Unknown track produced by JC Chazez (Mentioned in The Daily Star in February of 2007)

Catfights & Spotlights

• Everybody Nose [N.E.R.D. Cover] (Mentioned in The Guardian in October of 2008)

4.0 2011 sessions

I want all the 2.0 demos :yeah: Especially interested to hear the Mutya version of Never Gonna Dance Again...I honestly can't imagine her vocals over that production so I wonder if the original sounded different

• Like 2

On 9/9/2022 at 11:28 AM, Dax Diameter said:

Aside from wiki pages casting a light on the work history (and associated acts), the other writers have worked with in the past.. not much.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Chrisanthou

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Beck_(songwriter)

One of the writers (John Beck) co-wrote this, which was a major No. 1 hit 30 years ago:

And both wrote this, some years later:

Neither track strikes me as being in the same specific genre (the first being soft rock in origin, the later being inflected by old school soul). 

I would imagine MKS killing something like that. Both tracks are cute but the production is underwhelming. With the right arrangements and their killer harmonies it should stand out a lot more. 

8 hours ago, metalsnake25 said:

There's so much we haven't heard yet. Thanks for the infos.

56 minutes ago, Leaving said:

I want all the 2.0 demos :yeah: Especially interested to hear the Mutya version of Never Gonna Dance Again...I honestly can't imagine her vocals over that production so I wonder if the original sounded different

Well actually the released version of Never Gonna Dance Again wouldn't sound out of place on Taller. 

I think Taller would be a much better album if they didn't reject Never Gonna Dance Again and My Love is Pink (if I'm not mistaken it's another 2.0 song later repurposed for Change). I wish it happened like that with a big hiatus to let Mutya breath and heal and then come back 2 years later with an album they would have taken the time to create without a lineup change.

No shades to Amelle, who's great and who contributed a lot. I'm just allowed to dream the band didn't change so much. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, metalsnake25 said:

One Touch

• Boys Will Be Boys
  • Heaven
  • My Life
  • No Doubt
  • Second Best
  • Stop, Look, Listen

Angels With Dirty Faces

• The Only One

Three

• Again and Again
  • Bodyrockin'
  • First Love
  • Let's Go Crazy
  • Liberation
  • Money Money
  • Xpress

Taller In More Ways

• Dead Man Walking
  • Have You Ever
  • Jason's Eyes
  • Schitzophernia
  • Time Is a Healer

Change

• Keep Sane (Rumor)
  • Pussycats (Rumor)

Catfights & Spotlights

4.0 2011 sessions

iconic. Thanks so much!!

• Like 1