Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet

Main Pop Girl

2 minutes ago, Leaving said:

So the entire game leaked :cackle: The Pokedex is good and the game looks fun, so I think if you're a fan of the series you'll enjoy it! I'm still kinda disappointed they haven't stepped it up like Zelda did with BOTW, but you can't blame them for sticking to the selling formula Ig

I don't know, I think the problem that faces Pokémon in comparison to Legend of Zelda is that it has such a wide cross-generational audience to appeal to, with a good balance between wanting to stay true to original Pokemon spirit, and the other half wanting Innovations and newness that's making progress tricky and possibly not well received by a good chunk of the fan base, unlike Legend of Zelda where the games were ALREADY that kind of open world, and they just cranked it up to 10

2 minutes ago, MeantToBeIconic said:

I don't know, I think the problem that faces Pokémon in comparison to Legend of Zelda is that it has such a wide cross-generational audience to appeal to, with a good balance between wanting to stay true to original Pokemon spirit, and the other half wanting Innovations and newness that's making progress tricky and possibly not well received by a good chunk of the fan base, unlike Legend of Zelda where the games were ALREADY that kind of open world, and they just cranked it up to 10

I think the thing is that BOTW did stay really true to the original spirit of the games, but just took everything to its total limit. Pokemon should be doing that too but they always seem to only get halfway there...Last time around it was a fake out open world and Pokedex dramas, this time its framerate problems and no character customisation for some reason? I just feel like at this point in the series lifespan it could be sooo much further ahead of where it is

42 minutes ago, Leaving said:

I think the thing is that BOTW did stay really true to the original spirit of the games, but just took everything to its total limit. Pokemon should be doing that too but they always seem to only get halfway there...Last time around it was a fake out open world and Pokedex dramas, this time its framerate problems and no character customisation for some reason? I just feel like at this point in the series lifespan it could be sooo much further ahead of where it is

I don't know, I think my point still stands. Player customization has only been a thing for the last couple Pokemon games, and that's because of the 3D models that were now available, which in my opinion kind of proves the point. People want the spirit of the old Pokemon games, but what exactly does that mean? A 2d route based game that they did for at this point half of the life cycle? Or a game where you can be so involved with your Pokemon that you can raise them in the nursery? Or just catching Pokemon for the sake of battling in a storyline that has been more or less repeated up until the last couple of games, Catch The pokemon, train, Beat the gym leaders, champion of the Elite Four. People have been complaining about that needing changed for so long that being changed, and then once it finally changes it loses the spirit? Most of them have just been Reincarnation of the idea of Gym Leaders to Elite four, with the methods and pads you go being different or the way they intertwined to the storyline being a little different, but more or less every Pokemon game is structured the same. The Pokemon fan base is just not kind to Pokemon.

This kind of thing is also what causes each game to have a Gimmick and then drop it for the next one, is it causes too much division within the fan base, so it's not worth supporting in the next one, they have to try something new. In my opinion they got a good one with mega evolutions and should have kept it. Z moves weren't bad either. But the Dynamax thing is ridiculous and broken imo

Edit: so when they finally introduced a brand new concept of player customization, never seen in Pokemon before, all people get upset about is the options. Like enjoy the fresh game play being presented to you brand new? And for what it's worth, Arceus was more or less a public audience test, because Scarlet and Violet were being developed right alongside it, they started at almost the exact same time, if I'm not mistaken Arceus actually started a bit later than scarlet and violet because of the different scales in projects. So, I think if the public reception to Arceus would have been overwhelmingly negative, scarlet and violet would have either been scrapped or taken in a very different direction.

Frame rate issues tends to show that the console might not be able to handle what's being thrown at it (which if that's the case, Pokemon really pulled out all the stops SOMEWHERE, and I have a feeling it would be the character and Pokemon models) or perhaps as release date came closer the programming isn't quite where it needs to be, but they don't really have the room to move release date around. I bet you that will resolve itself with a couple updates

Edited by MeantToBeIconic

I was going with Fire dude but now I’m picking the Quackly. A lot of the new Pokémon are very good, did anyone reason about Tinkaton she has issues she throws hammers are Corvaknights and that why they can’t be taxis in Paldea lol 

she’s going on my team for sure. 

14 hours ago, MeantToBeIconic said:

I don't know, I think my point still stands. Player customization has only been a thing for the last couple Pokemon games, and that's because of the 3D models that were now available, which in my opinion kind of proves the point. People want the spirit of the old Pokemon games, but what exactly does that mean? A 2d route based game that they did for at this point half of the life cycle? Or a game where you can be so involved with your Pokemon that you can raise them in the nursery? Or just catching Pokemon for the sake of battling in a storyline that has been more or less repeated up until the last couple of games, Catch The pokemon, train, Beat the gym leaders, champion of the Elite Four. People have been complaining about that needing changed for so long that being changed, and then once it finally changes it loses the spirit? Most of them have just been Reincarnation of the idea of Gym Leaders to Elite four, with the methods and pads you go being different or the way they intertwined to the storyline being a little different, but more or less every Pokemon game is structured the same. The Pokemon fan base is just not kind to Pokemon.

This kind of thing is also what causes each game to have a Gimmick and then drop it for the next one, is it causes too much division within the fan base, so it's not worth supporting in the next one, they have to try something new. In my opinion they got a good one with mega evolutions and should have kept it. Z moves weren't bad either. But the Dynamax thing is ridiculous and broken imo

Edit: so when they finally introduced a brand new concept of player customization, never seen in Pokemon before, all people get upset about is the options. Like enjoy the fresh game play being presented to you brand new? And for what it's worth, Arceus was more or less a public audience test, because Scarlet and Violet were being developed right alongside it, they started at almost the exact same time, if I'm not mistaken Arceus actually started a bit later than scarlet and violet because of the different scales in projects. So, I think if the public reception to Arceus would have been overwhelmingly negative, scarlet and violet would have either been scrapped or taken in a very different direction.

Frame rate issues tends to show that the console might not be able to handle what's being thrown at it (which if that's the case, Pokemon really pulled out all the stops SOMEWHERE, and I have a feeling it would be the character and Pokemon models) or perhaps as release date came closer the programming isn't quite where it needs to be, but they don't really have the room to move release date around. I bet you that will resolve itself with a couple updates

Who's saying that anything is losing the spirit of the Pokemon games? I haven't seen anyone say that but I also don't really pay attention to the Pokemon fandom so idk what's going on in there. When it comes to the Dynamax/Gigantamax/Avamax I agree with you that it's all super gimmicky and doesn't really add much fun gameplay to the save files of most people playing.

I think most people probably just want a typical Pokemon game where you're able to catch them, train them, battle them (and, for some people, maybe have some kind of interactive thing where you can play games with them or w/e) but in an open world format. I'd take it a step further and ask that they actually work on a proper plot for once with interesting themes and well-developed characters, which is often where the games really fall flat for me, as well as some side quests that give you something to do aside from the main quest. None of the rivals are likeable, none of the gym leaders are cool, the villains have no real motive and even Team Yell in the last games were just there to annoy you. I find myself skipping through most of the dialogue because it's so annoying and kiddy. I honestly think some of the plot points from the original games (for instance, the whole Pokemon Tower sub-quest with that baby Marowak) are better fleshed out, more interesting and provide more of an emotional connection than any of what they've done for the past couple of games. 

I actually misspoke a little about the character customisation. I like that they've (finally) introduced character customisation which is something that most other games have had for at least a decade now 😅 So that's a step forward at least. What I'm annoyed about is the outfits, which literally involve choosing between four different types of school uniforms (spring, summer, autumn, fall) which is heaps, heaps less than what we had in Sword and Shield (and even that wasn't a huge amount). This is the kind of thing I'm talking about where they take two steps forward and one step back. Animal Crossing has literally thousands of outfits to choose from and its standard for most games to have at least a few dozen to pick from. It's unfathomable to me that its 2022 and Pokemon is only just getting around to CC and offering piss poor outfit choices. The Pokemon Company/Nintendo are some of the biggest gaming conglomerates ever and they clearly have the money to be doing better than this but they just don't seem to care.

I really don't think people are asking for that much here. A lot of these features are already present in games you can buy for your mobile, so I don't believe it's a case of lack of resources or poor hardware. I really just think they're making so much money off the franchise as it is that they have no reason to do better, so they just keep trudging along and giving people whatever weird evolution of Diglett they've come up with instead of striving to make something actually great. It's a shame to me because I'm a big fan of the franchise and I know they could be doing so much better if they put in the work.

15 hours ago, tajd said:

I was going with Fire dude but now I’m picking the Quackly. A lot of the new Pokémon are very good, did anyone reason about Tinkaton she has issues she throws hammers are Corvaknights and that why they can’t be taxis in Paldea lol 

she’s going on my team for sure. 

:cackle::cackle::cackle: Tinkaton is us! Honestly all of the new designs are pretty good. The only one that jumped out to me as ugly was Gimmighoul, which is another one of their "take a random everyday object and add a ghost to it" Pokemon. Other than that I thought they were solid!

• YAAASSS 1

On 11/17/2022 at 11:44 PM, UnknownBoyPT said:

My copy was delayed... I will get it in the next tuesday, I'm so mad!

You’re better off to be honest as it badly needs a patch as there is memory leak with the game as it’s using to much of the switch memory cashing all sorts of funny glitches for now it’s back to Sonic Frontiers which is actually a lot of fun. 

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...