Heidi Montag’s ‘Superficial’ Is the Most Underrated Album of All Time

liberation

heidi-montag-superficial-album-cover.jpg

This article published by Life&Style Magazine brings a lot of facts about the pop bible Superficial, released in 2010 by Heidi Montag. My favorite part of it it's that at the end we can read a lot of Heidi's opinions about the album tracks, so i thought i'd share it here: 

For those who still haven’t given the album a chance (how tragic if that's you, TBH), Heidi is hoping to reach new listeners all these years later. “I would urge them to listen with an open mind because it’s not even about me. Take me out of the equation and Superficial is an incredible pop album. All the writers are top of the line,” she says. “Everyone who worked on it is the best of the best in the business, so I just think that the songs themselves are incredible and fun and empowering. I hope that anyone who listens to the album feels empowered and more confident.”

Here, Heidi takes Life & Style though each track from her pop opus, which she says doubles as a “photo album,” reminding her of a distinctively unique chapter in her life. “I love those songs,” she gushes. “It just takes me back to where I was in that moment in time in my life, and being on The Hills. Every song makes me smile for a different reason.”

01. Look How I'm Doing

Spoiler

HM: “I think that’s just such a fun track because that’s how I felt. I felt on top of the world. With Lauren, I felt like she broke up with me, we were in such different places — and I know it wasn’t how she felt — but this song, even though it sounds like a kiss-off to an ex, it really resonated with me because of what I was going through in my friendship with Lauren.”

02. Turn Ya Head

Spoiler

HM: “Cathy Dennis wrote ‘Turn Ya Head’ and I just loved it. To me, it felt like a new ‘Toxic.’ I thought it was the new ‘Toxic.’ I just thought it was so hot and sexy and fresh. It’s so self-spoken. It felt so me at the time. I was living a show.”

03. Fanatic

Spoiler

HM: “I love ‘Fanatic.’ And Cathy Dennis also wrote that one. And the lyrics really expressed how I felt about Spencer. I always was just such a fanatic for him, and it was just so fun to be able to sing a song that was so relatable for me in my own life.”

04. Superficial

Spoiler

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

HM: “I think ‘Superficial’ was so ahead of its time and acknowledged the future of pop culture. I love how the song celebrated me doing my own thing, having this boss attitude, and completely owning it. I just think that ‘Superficial’ is such a great anthem. It’s empowering for people. Because, at the end of the day, who cares what anyone says? It was like, 'I know you say I’m superficial, but I’m not. I can wear designer and not be superficial.'"

05. More Is More

Spoiler

HM: “I heard ‘More Is More’ and I was like, ‘I need that.’ It had a swear-word in it and, at the time, there were really no songs with swear-words in them on the radio. There are now of course, but at the time, it felt really progressive and edgy and ahead of the curve. It was such unknown territory. And then Dave Aude did a remix because we definitely wanted to get it on the dance charts and it did! It reached No. 27 [on Billboard’s Hot Dance Club Play chart]. It’s so cool that it did hit the charts and because of that, ‘More Is More’ really holds a special place in my heart.”

06. One More Drink

Spoiler

HM: “Dawn Richard from Danity Kane wrote this one with Mary Brown. Mary Brown is great. I knew her even before I started cutting music. And, actually, that was the very first song I cut for the album. I thought it was such a fun club anthem. It just makes you feel sexy.”

07. Twisted

Spoiler

HM: “To be honest with you, singing this song was so hard. LP [songwriter Laura Pergolizzi] didn’t think I could cut it. She was like, ‘I’ll let you try, but if it’s not sounding great, I don’t want you to have this record.’ So I tried and I think I surprised her — I actually surprised myself! — because she was happy with what she heard and she was like, ‘Oh, alright, you can have it.’ But it is a very, very vocally challenging song for sure. But I love that song. The lyrics were so fitting for my situation [with Lauren]. I had someone in my life at that time who was so twisted and maniacal and no one was seeing it. So it was something I could really put my heart and soul into.”

08. Hey Boy

Spoiler

HM: “This song was all about women empowerment. And, like the lyrics say, I have always paid my own bills and I do pay my own way. And it was like, ‘Look, if you’re not gonna get with this, then see ya later. Bye, boy!’ It definitely didn’t have anything to do with my relationship with Spencer at the time, but I think it was so good for other people to hear. Who hasn’t been fed up with a boyfriend at one time or another? I wanted my fans to know that it’s important to be your own woman, be empowered, pave your own way — and if he’s not willing to get with that, then send him on his way.”

09. My Parade

Spoiler

HM: “This is one of my favorites because it’s so emblematic of how I’ve lived my life and how I feel. It’s my parade, life is too short, I’m gonna do what I want, I’m gonna enjoy it, and if you don’t want to have fun and be a part of my life, then get out of my way. And that’s always been my motto since I was really young. This was a great celebration of one’s self. I don’t feel like there’s enough self-love and there’s nothing wrong with loving yourself. Be your own best friend. You’re the only person you’re with all the time, so you might as well enjoy it!”

10. Blackout

Spoiler

HM: “Believe it or not, Taylor Momsen wrote ‘Blackout’ with Cathy Dennis. But I didn’t know that until I cut it. Cathy played it for me and it was love at first listen — and I knew I needed to record it. It really felt like my anthem for Spencer. It was just so us, and explained perfectly how I felt about being with him. And the creator of The Hills actually loved it so much that he wanted to play it during our wedding on the show, but the higher-ups at MTV said no. But that’s how much they loved it, too. So I think ‘Blackout’ is forever one of my favorite songs.”

11. I'll Do It 

Spoiler

HM: "I played the demo of that song myself so many times before I even recorded it because I loved it so much. I was like, ‘That is it.’ It’s sexual, but if you listen to the lyrics, it’s all about the woman being in control which I love. It’s also so fun to sing — and I won’t tell you what I’ve done to that song! The lyrics were naughty and when I recorded it, I just felt so sexy and cool and confident. It was like, ‘I’ll be whatever you like because I’ve got it all.’ In a way, it’s like the modern version of [Chaka Khan’s] ‘I’m Every Woman.’”

12. Love It or Leave It

Spoiler

HM: “‘Love It or Leave It’ is kind of like a moodier version of ‘My Parade.’ It’s just always been my attitude. Like, I don’t want to play games. You either love me for me and all that I am, or peace, see ya later. Basically, this was my way of saying, ‘Yeah, I do whatever I want, and I know I’m not perfect, but you’re either gonna be down with it or you're gonna have to hit the road. Because I’m not going to change the way I am for you.’”

Been really revisiting this album ever since i found this article. I think my favorite tracks are 'Look How I'm Doing', 'Turn Ya Head', 'Superficial', 'Twisted', 'Blackout' and 'I'll Do It' but i really think the entire album is great. I also think i love the album more after reading her thoughts on this after all these years. One could think that she just wants to forget about her failed music career but she talks about with a lot of pride. She's really honest about the fact that she got all the songs from other writers and even that some of them doubted her capacity of making a good interpretation of their songs and she's not ashamed of it because she knows she's done her best. A true queen! 

• Like 2
  • YAAASSS 2

ICONIC QUEEN OF POP! :yaskween: The list of collaborators on this album is literally incredible. I had no idea Dave Aude did a remix either which just makes things even better!

I can't with her trying to make the whole album about Lauren tho... :stretcher: Gurl, you already told us the show was scripted!

• YAAASSS 1

4 hours ago, coolaideonfire said:

Really good, and criminally underrated album. It doesn't get a fair chance because it's Heidi, but it'd be a different story if any other pop girl released. Imagine if this was Britney's "Femme Fatale".

Superficial is miles better than any song on FF could ever dream of being... :yaskween: Although honestly if it had Myah Marie's vocals on it the album could have been even better! :cackle: 

@victorxcx.  Thank you for making this post.  I have not listened to any Heidi music in a few months.  I am listening to Superficial now and yes this is one very underrated album. 

For me though. My favorite Heidi songs are:

Body Language.

Touch me.

And:

Fashion.

I also have to give an honorable mention to:

Sex Ed. 

While we are on a Heidi feast.  Does anyone have this?  Please, if anyone does.  Share it. 

Heidi Montag - Dreams Come True - EP (2012).jpg

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, loveformusic said:

I bought this album when it first came out and it’s still something I listen too. I love it. More pop fans need to give it a listen.

If you are talking about "Dreams Come True"?  Please share it with us Heidi Fans. 

Pretty Please. 

Heidi and Leighton were going to rule airwaves in '09-'10. I was prepared, but then both vanished.

That being said, I love the comments she makes. I remember when the explicit version of "More is More" leaked, she was fuming that it was the wrong version. Also, Taylor Momsen wrote "Blackout" when she was 8. :cackle:

Wait and remember when this was the best form of free promo?

Edited by Cypher
  • YAAASSS 1

• 5 months later...
On 5/27/2018 at 2:37 AM, Cypher said:

Heidi and Leighton were going to rule airwaves in '09-'10. I was prepared, but then both vanished.

That being said, I love the comments she makes. I remember when the explicit version of "More is More" leaked, she was fuming that it was the wrong version. Also, Taylor Momsen wrote "Blackout" when she was 8. :cackle:

Wait and remember when this was the best form of free promo?

Why have I never seen this?  :stretcher: Her voice is pretty bad but honestly it's a lot better than I expected it to be. :shocked:

And let's not forget about her budget music videos!

• Like 2