J-Pop Icon Namie Amuro Announces Retirement From Music

Capsule

Namie-Amuro-Checkmate-ban.jpg

Namie Amuro is officially retiring from the music scene.

The 40-year-old Japanese pop icon made the shocking announcement on her Facebook on Monday (September 19), confirming that she will be retiring next September after over 25 years in the industry.

“Today, I would like to write about something that I have carried on my mind and have decided on the 25th anniversary of my debut. I, Namie Amuro, would like to take this opportunity to inform all of my fans of my decision to retire as of September 16, 2018,” she wrote.

“I plan to make the last year of my music career meaningful by focusing my full attention on creating a final album and performing at concerts. Then, I will welcome the date of September 16, 2018 in the best way I can. I hope this year will be filled with wonderful memories for me and the fans together. Together, let’s make this coming year the best one possible!”

Her latest studio album, Genic, was released in 2015.

With over 30 million albums and singles sold since her solo debut in 1995, Namie Amuro ranks as one of the best-selling acts in Japanese music history.

source

The only song I've ever really liked from her is 'Come', but I'll be sad on behalf of her fans to watch her go! I'm lowkey hoping for them that she'll do a Cher and make a comeback a decade from now or something. Is her run in pop music the longest one we have for a female in Japan tho? I feel like over there it's very much a young person's game so the fact she's done so well up until age 40 is great!

On 9/29/2017 at 10:06 PM, Countess said:

The only song I've ever really liked from her is 'Come', but I'll be sad on behalf of her fans to watch her go! I'm lowkey hoping for them that she'll do a Cher and make a comeback a decade from now or something. Is her run in pop music the longest one we have for a female in Japan tho? I feel like over there it's very much a young person's game so the fact she's done so well up until age 40 is great!

She definitely is up there as far as long-lasting careers go, although it's only going to become more common with Japan's rapid birth rate decline. I don't know for sure if her run is the definite longest, but she's definitely waaaaay up on the list if she isn't at the top!

On 01/10/2017 at 1:13 PM, Capsule said:

She definitely is up there as far as long-lasting careers go, although it's only going to become more common with Japan's rapid birth rate decline. I don't know for sure if her run is the definite longest, but she's definitely waaaaay up on the list if she isn't at the top!

That's actually really true! I guess the majority of the market there must be elderly now so it will be interesting to see if they like the older artists or if they're still trying to be young and hip. ;) Good for Namie either way!

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, choke said:

Charli XCX & Katy Perry said opposite, PPP is like the most viewed j pop video 

i don't care what american artists think about jpop??? especially someone as trash as katy perry. kyary is a glorified meme and namie amuro is a genuine talent that's had a long and continuously successful career.

• YAAASSS 1

Just now, Countess said:

@choke, you're wrong for comparing female artists...

But @Capsule, you're a SATANIC WHORE for abusing KPP like that! :tanya::tanya::tanya: How dare you insult the Queen of J-Pop and the Mayor of Harajuku like that? She's the most creative J-Pop artist ever and a true icon!

don't get me wrong sis, i enjoy myself some kyary but i only speak truth.

if ponponpon never happened, no one would care!