Introducing PHF'S Next Top Cover Designer!

Tyra Banks

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the results are out! Thank you for everyone who participated in this episode of PHF's Next Top Cover Designer - we loved all the covers and are excited to see what you do next! Please see your results below.

Alessia Cara - @wildthings

Spoiler

@Countess - I think this is a nice cover! You've done a nice job editing her face especially to match the background - although, I do wish that the text was placed behind her instead of in front so we could see more of your work. However, with that said I do know that you can do much better covers than this so I'm looking forward to seeing what else you contribute in the coming weeks. :P  7/10

@trayertrash - This looks and feels like a real Alessia Cara cover. 5/10

Total: 12/20

Allie X - @Olympia

Spoiler

@Countess - Unfortunately @Olympia failed to enter anything this week and so will be receiving a zero for this assignment. 0/10

@trayertrash - 0/10

Total: 0/10

Bebe Rexha - @Zach

Spoiler

@Countess - I think this is a good example of quite a simple concept and cover that's quite striking and effective anyway! You let the picture do most of the talking and definitely kept the focus on the artist rather than the designer. The only thing I would suggest is a more interesting font choice to make the cover stand out a bit more - maybe a custom made logo for her name or something. 7/10

@trayertrash - The background really brings out her lips, which really draws me in to this cover. 5/10

Total: 12/20

Bonnie McKee - @Higher

Spoiler

@Countess - I'm honestly so so so slayed by this cover! :hail: The editing work you've done on the photograph is just phenomenal and you struck a really nice balance between something official looking and something very stylised and effective. If I had to pick out a flaw, I'd say that maybe her hair in the top right corner is a little weirdly edited - but it took me a long time to notice that and it's covered up pretty well thanks to the texture anyway. I love this! 9/10

@trayertrash - This is fantastic! I'm not even a Bonnie fan but would buy this :hail: 10/10

Total: 19/20

Dua Lipa - @Jump Rope

Spoiler

@Countess - I can't really say that I love this cover (partially because I don't like Dua and partially because I'm not sure about the cutting) but I do think your work on it was great and, most importantly, it's very attention grabbing! Something about the graphic contrast of the black and white is really eye-catching - and yet you've managed to make it look very official and usable at the same time. Good work! 7.5/10

@trayertrash - I'm loving the painted (?) texture behind her. It's a very 90s feel with a modern twist. 8/10

Total: 15.5/20

Kerli - @Honeymoon

Spoiler

@Countess - I thought it was an interesting choice to use a non-square cover for your first design, and honestly not one that I totally understand. I feel as though maybe if you'd specified that it was for a special box set edition of the album or something it might make sense, but I guess I just didn't understand your rationale for it. As for the rest of the cover, it reminds me a lot of something I would have made when I first got started in making artwork! I think it's a pretty good effort and you did a great job on the cutting. I just wish the background was a little more interesting! 6/10

@trayertrash - I like what you were going for, but it doesn't seem to pull together well imo. 4/10

Total: 10/20

Kiiara - @asexualguy

Spoiler

@Countess - I quite like the idea of this cover, and I think that if it was changed around a little it could be really striking and iconic! What I'm not a huge fan of is the placement that you've chosen for the text and photo. I think that if the image had been centred with no background and the text was a little smaller it could work really well though. Still quite a nice cover tho! 6.5/10

@trayertrash - loving this concept, but visually, it gives me a headache and makes me feel nauseous :stretcher: 5/10

Total: 11.5/10

Neon Hitch - @Woodcrest

Spoiler

@Countess - This is probably one of the most impressive covers I've seen in such a long time! :hail: The colours you've chosen are so vivid and stunning and the overall concept as a whole really fits the album and it's aesthetic so well. The only tiny criticism I have is that the car doesn't look placed on the road quite right but really that's just me being picky and trying to find a criticism. :P I love this so much! 9/10

@trayertrash - This is great! I love the vintage style 9/10

Total: 18/20

Tinashe - @24/7

Spoiler

@Countess - I've never been a huge fan of this photoshoot because it seems to really hide a lot of her face and create some awkwardly blurry photographs - but I think you did a good job at choosing a nice photo where her gorgeous face is really the focal point! What I don't like is the text you used - I know the Tinashe logo is official but I've never been a huge fan of it honestly and I don't really like the motion blur effect that much either. Good job finding a way to connect the cover to Bebe tho. ;)  6/10

@trayertrash - I like the texture added to it as well as the effects to the font. 5/10

Total: 11/20

Zara Larsson - @Tweener

Spoiler

@Countess - This is another quite simple looking cover which is still effective! The text and image you've chosen is super official - I can imagine this being used by Zara or by Miley in 2010. :stretcher:  The only thing I wish you'd incorporated is a pop of colour - maybe by making her eyes really blue or something - so that there's a focal point for our eyes to look at. 7/10

@trayertrash - The simplicity doesn't quite match up to the other contestants, but I can see this being used by Zara's flop ass. 4/10

Total: 11/20

Congratulations to @Higher for winning this week of the competition and becoming the reigning champ! As your reward, you will be able to choose which artist you work on for the next week of the competition. A list of artists for you to choose from will be up this Monday!

Unfortunately, as they did not submit a cover this week @Olympia will be leaving us.

tumblr_m574y11hoE1r317bvo1_500.gif 

Please say your goodbyes and congratulate all of those who remain for staying around until the next round of the competition!

Stay tuned for tomorrow when the competition to find PHF's Next Top Cover Designer will continue! <3 

Week #2

Welcome back to round two of the competition! We hope you've been enjoying playing so far and are ready to slay us with some more of your amazing designs. For this week, the theme will be Ex-Disney Stars, with each of your artists being Disney Channel stars who have since branched out on their own. As per last week, you can choose whether you want to design for one of their albums, an unreleased album or a single.

Because @Higher was the winner of the first week's competition, they get to choose who will be designing for who this week. That means they get first dibs on their favourite artist and can give the not so good artists to members they're less friendly with. ;) Please wait for them to post their list of artists before starting work on your covers!

When you've finished, please post your cover in the Art Gallery forum and let us know here when you're done. Along with your cover, please give us a short description of how you made your cover and the creative choices behind it. You have five days to complete this task so get moving! <3 

Good luck to everyone, we can't wait to see what you come up with! <3 

Artists:

• Aly & AJ
  • Ashley Tisdale
  • Demi Lovato
  • Hilary Duff
  • Lindsay Lohan
  • Miley Cyrus
  • Nick Jonas
  • Raven-Symoné
  • Selena Gomez

Ok some of you I know better than others, so I kind of guessed for some people and did randoms for other. Im sorry if I give you something you don't like but I am sure you will all make amazing work no matter the artist... Good luck here are the choices

Archived