Introducing PHF'S Next Top Cover Designer!

Tyra Banks

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you guys for your patience and for tuning in once again to PHFNTCD! <3 This week was the most exciting one yet, with each of our designers working on one of the big five - the top five female popstars in the world at the moment. Our guest judge this week was @Speedoflight, who's infamous for their harsh critiques. Without further ado, let's check out the results!

@wildthings - Beyonce

Spoiler

@Countess: Another day, another slay from you! Like the official cover, this is simple and striking, but unlike the official it looks like there was a lot of thought put into this, especially the paint drip background. It looks like the kind of cover that could be iconic if it was used officially, great work! 7.5/10

@Speedoflight: I love how the cover is just the album name with a grainy effect and no text...But I guess it's just a nice pic with a good font, that's why it slays. If you compare it to the original I do rather like how it turned out and hopefully I'm not biased in saying that it looks pretty good. It's still kinda a lazy work, lol. 6/10

Total: 13.5/20

@Jump Rope - Rihanna

Spoiler

@Countess: I think this is a really interesting concept for a cover! It really looks like something Charli XCX would use with that chrome font but I can see Rih using something like this too, especially for the ANTI era. I think this is really well done and you nailed the 90s vibe, good job boo. <38.5/10

@Speedoflight: My issue with this one is it looks too worked on and fake but actually I kinda find this work better then all the rest. I really enjoy the darkish vibe of it and I love the fact he took advantage of the first opportunity (the good font) with the smart use of colors. 7.5/10

Total: 16/20

@Woodcrest - Lady Gaga

Spoiler

@Countess: Once again, you’ve slayed me with your brilliant use of colour, texture and clean, neat lines. :hail: I love this photo you chose of her - it’s classic Gaga but still fits the Joanne era - and the background is really effective as well, I think it should be official! Great work boo. 9/10

@Speedoflight: Another lazy work by the good sis @Woodcrest. It's simple and just fine. He should have used a better pic. In such a case it could be cool if he did not use that grey effect on Gaga cause it does not fit the font. :flush:4.5/10

Total: 13.5/20

@Zach - Katy Perry

Spoiler

@Countess: Like most of your covers, it’s quite simple but you’ve perfected every aspect so much that it really works. :hail: A part of me does want to see you go completely crazy and make some insanely Photoshopped cover just to prove you can do it but in the meantime I’m happy to check out all these great official looking covers. ;) 8/10

@Speedoflight: The cover is fine but it looks like the camera was foggy. If you compare this work to the original cover below it's kinda the same but more fuzzy. I think he could use more work on it, he kinda did nothing except making the colours looks fuzzy and less brighter if you know what I mean. This isn't the kind of picture that catches people's eyes... 2/10

2ymcf9z.jpgkatyperry_prism_butterflies_01.jpg

Total: 9/20

@Higher - Britney Spears

Spoiler

@Countess I often really like your covers but this one is a disappointment for me. :'( As per usual, I think your use of text is really strong but other than that I can’t find much to love here. :/ I’ve never really liked this photo of her and even though the foggy background is cool I don’t really think it fits the image and the fog is a little choppy down the bottom. I think that maybe with a different image this could be really strong but I’m not a fan of how it all came together. :(5/10 

@Speedoflight Not a huge fan of this work but the background slays...I think this cover feels the need to add every possible effect to it to make it look like a really clever job cause it's boring... 5/10

Total: 10/20

Congratulations to @Jump Rope, the winner of this week's challenge! You did an amazing job with your unique and forward-thinking cover and we're super impressed with your punctuality and great work ethic. :P

When it comes to who will be disqualified, we had such a close week this week, with three people in the leaderboard all half a point away from each other! Unfortunately, our friend @Higher missed out on staying safe with a tie by just half a point, and will be leaving the show. :'(

Tyra-ANTM-Wrong-1438190095.gif

Please say good bye to someone who's created some of my all time favourite covers while they were here! Stay tuned for the new list of artists coming in the next few hours.

"grey effect" it was literally a black and white photo wyd...

also that took me like two hours, from vectorising her handwritten text to cutting, retouching and cleaning up her hair with brushes to ripping and cleaning up that backing texture from her store. lazy my fckn ass lol

ty to the good sis countess for knowing and appreciating good art 

tumblr_inline_nhj9ksoubb1r4l7fp.gif

(if that gif doesn't load bc phf doesn't like me pasting in urls on mobile it's the girl from broad city smoking multiple cigarettes whilst sitting in a stairwell)

Thank you for joining us for another week of PHFNTCD! <3 The competition is really heating up with only four contestants left in the running to be PHF's Next Top Cover Designer. This week, we're returning to the idea of groups with the theme of Bands. We've looked at groups once before with the 'Girl Group' category, but bands always have a slightly more complicated hierarchy which we hope to see in everyone's cover!

The artists for this week will be chosen by last week's winner, @Jump Rope. As per usual, you will have five days to complete these covers - make sure you keep an eye on the timer so you know how long you have left!

• The Beatles
  • Coldplay
  • No Doubt
  • The Pretty Reckless

Good luck to everyone, we can't wait to see your creations! 

tumblr_inline_npjfq7n0Ey1qjb0m3_500.gif

SLAYAGE! I agree more with Countess when it comes to points given because I simply couldn't be so cold-hearted as good sis @Speedoflight.  But I need to say that Speedy's comments were sometimes on point. I could clearly hear Speedy saying it with this frown on his face. Just like on the selfie he sent to me today. :magic: 

Congratulations everyone! Especially Jumpie king! <3<3<3 

Good luck with the next challenge everyone!

8 minutes ago, Tweener said:

SLAYAGE! I agree more with Countess when it comes to points given because I simply couldn't be so cold-hearted as good sis @Speedoflight.  But I need to say that Speedy's comments were sometimes on point. I could clearly hear Speedy saying it with this frown on his face. Just like on the selfie he sent to me today. :magic: 

:stretcher::stretcher: i was not cold -hearted i was trying to be honest  :flush: cause i know the good sis @Countess is very niceee with everyone even when it's a bad work   :mo:

16 hours ago, Tweener said:

Leak the selfie. :evil: 

Archived